Thread: user-name/password for NTOP

Beans

user-name/password for NTOP

Gents:

I've DLoaded NTOP and - and after some "permissions" issues with directories - installed the program. On my browser I can view various NTOP_outout at //localhost:3000 . There's pages of stuff.

What I can't do is assert the <configure>_tab cause I'm requested to enter <usrname/passwd> ... well I don't remember ever entering such values to the program and "my own" values are not accepted.

Certainly I don't know if I need to :configure: anything since NTOP is apparently doing whatever it does without my help. But, NTOP seems to expect something I've never given it and this bothers me. Do I need to be concerned?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: user-name/password for NTOP

If you have vast experience running ntop and Debian derived distributions, you would intuit the need to consult /usr/share/doc/ntop/README.Debian, where they duely instruct you to run sudo ntop -A before running sudo /etc/init.d/ntop start. "ntop -A" queries you for the administrative password, and initializes /var/lib/ntop with various files. Ordinary mortals just starting out with ntop may be forgiven for overlooking this. It's probably the source of your directory and permissions issues, as a side effect.

The default settings for ntop are fairly good; if you have no need to tamper with them, be happy. I'm not sure if you can re-initialize ntop easily after the fact. If you are willing to reinstall it, which will lose the current DB contents, what I'd suggest is:
    Code:
    sudo -i
    /etc/init.d/ntop stop
    apt-get purge ntop
    apt-get install ntop
    ntop -A
    /etc/init.d/ntop start