Thread: [SOLVED] streaming video media

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question [SOLVED] streaming video media

Hi, I just switched to Ubuntu hardy heron from XP. My main problem is I cant watch my old internet tv stations. I am trying to get the player on 30minutelunchbreak.com to work (the top one, not the youtube version). So far I am having trouble following directions from the other postings unless they really explain where to do what.

This website has a great selection of news channels that I cannot find anywhere else. I have read other posts that recomend finding new media sources, I dont really want to do that. I believe one channel from this website (euronews) is actually a pay channel that come in for free here. The euronews website only has clips, not the live stream.

I believe it is a windows media player pluggin that is needed - but I thought I have that installed already.

I have these plugins enabled on my firefox browser: windows media player 10, vlc multimedia (compatible totem), Totem, shockwave flash, quicktime, helix dna realplayer, divx.

In my applications menu I have: totem, vlc, and mplayer.

At first I got a black screen with the image of a computer monitor. After installing vlc, I get black screen with the text [no video].

I would sure appreciate anyone who would look at the website and at least give me some clues as to what they think is needed to display it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: streaming video media

I haven't been to that site, but have you tried streaming the video into Totem Movie Player (sometimes just known as Movie Player)?

Applications -> Sound & Video -> Movie Player

menu at top of totem

Movies -> Open Location...
    paste the location of the video to stream

try that.

Also, do you have ubuntu restricted extras (install link) installed?

edit: VLC might actually do it better, try both.

Beans
    Distro

I installed the restricted extras link, it competed successfully, but I dont know what it did.

I have tried pasting a url into realmedia player, vlc, totem, and mplayer, just error messages and freeze-ups is all I get.

Here is the url i tried:

mms://skinkers-livestation-euronews-fr.wm.llnwd.net/skinkers_livestation_euronews_fr

Beans
    Distro

I was trying to paste the wrong url into my player. The Url was not visible in the non functioning version of the embedded player on the website. I was trying old urls I found in Google searches. Once I went to a windows machine that would play the video, the actual url could be copied to my mplayer on the Linux machine.