Thread: [SOLVED] Annoying internet connection!

Beans

[SOLVED] Annoying internet connection!

Hello all,

At every say 2-3 hours, my internet connection will just disconnect and I have to reboot the computer to get it back working. This is really annoying and I'm sure there is a way to juste restart that?! I tried /etc/init.d/networking restart but it doesnt work.

Any ideas?

Thanks and happy holidays

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Annoying internet connection!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Is your network connection normally handled by Network Manager or some other method? Are you perhaps connecting directly to a DSL modem (no router) using pppoe? If so a command like "pon dsl-provider" or "pppd call dsl-provider" may work. "dsl-provider" may need to be replaced with the name of the relevant file for your connection from /etc/ppp/peers.

Can you check in your log files ( /var/log/syslog or /var/log/messages ) and see what the errors are when the network disconnects?
    There are no dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Beans

UPDATE:

As I previously said, here is the excerpt of my
    Code:
    networking restart
    command:

Code:
    matt@AQUARIUS:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
    [sudo] password for matt:
     * Reconfiguring network interfaces...Ignoring unknown interface wlan1=wlan1.
                                                                             [ OK ]
    matt@AQUARIUS:~$
    And regarding the
    Code:
    /var/log/syslog
    and
    Code:
    /var/log/messages
    There is nothing in there regarding my wireless device when it disconnects. By the way, it doesn't disconnects, it just stop transfering data FROM and TO. Meaning, I'm still connected. But when I just disconnect and try to reconnect, it never does.

Any other ideas?

Beans

bump

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

There are many variations of networking and solutions to problems must be tailored to the circumstances. Please post the output of the command "ifconfig" while the connection is working and while it is not working. More information would be helpful. You mentioned wireless in one post, is that what you connect with. Is your system using Network Manager to handle the connection or some other method? What is the nature of your upstream network connection, i.e. cable/DSL modem, router, etc.
    There are no dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Beans

Well I finaly figured it out thanks to the help of another forum. I now use Wicd for my connection manager, and deluge as my client (torrent).

Eveyrthing is perfect now

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You can set threads as "Solved" under thread tools at the top of the thread.

Thanks
    Linux user number: 480969 | Running: Ubuntu 10.04 desktops (2), netbook and server | Skill: Web Programmer for too long...