I have had this issue of sound through headphone jack but not the system speakers with Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Fedora, Mandriva etc and have read all the stuff I could find through google and on these forums but is there a better fix than changing the model options in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base?

Adding: options snd-hda-intel model=mbp3 to the alsa-base file switches the sound from the headphone jack to the speakers but this is hardly a fix, having to edit this file and re-load ALSA everytime you want to change from jack to speakers and back is a pain. I played with various other options and found the following to work:

options snd-hda-intel model=lenovo-101e

Adding the above options line to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base works in that the sound switches from speakers to headphone jack when the jack is inserted and switches back again when removed. I suppose then that it works as intended in that the headphone jack is auto sensing but ALSA is still using the wrong drivers and stuff so this is more of a bodge than a fix.

Does anyone know if the Realtec ALC889A is supported by ALSA or is this something I just have to wait to be fixed?