Thread: Connecting 2 Ubuntu Computers together

Hybrid View

Beans

Connecting 2 Ubuntu Computers together

I have 2 computers with Ubuntu 8.04 installed and I am trying to connect them together. I have a linksys router and both computers are hard wired in the router. I use my laptop upstairs, and I am trying to access my system downstairs. My music is on the downstairs computer and want to listen to it on the upstairs computer. What would be the best way to connect both of them together, and how would I do it. Thanks, Steve

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Connecting 2 Ubuntu Computers together

Linux-linux gives you a few more options than when Windows is involved. You can still use Samba, but you can also use NFS or SSHFS. More information (including links) in this thread.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans

I have tried everything I know how and here is what is happening. I can play movies just fine on my laptop accessing the hard drive on the other computer, but when it comes to songs it won't let me play them. I get an error of unable to fetch file. The only way I can play music is to copy and paste the folder from the desktop into the laptop, but this would be useless since the laptop hard drive is not that big. I have switched back to vista on both systems and have no problems except one. I dislike vista so much since I have been using linux that I am taking 3 steps back using that OS. Any help would be great. Steve

Beans

bump up for info

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I haven't tried on recent release, but I have a Samba server that seems to work with video/audio. Mine has a desktop icon, but this thread explains a faster/more reliable way to mount CIFS shares.
    Last edited by Iowan; December 29th, 2008 at 03:10 AM.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net