Thread: Cairo-dock breaks xserver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Cairo-dock breaks xserver

Hi

I would like to know if anyone has had issues with cairo-dock breaking their system. I recently installed it and then had major issues trying to start the system, just being dropped to a tty. I eventually eventually resolved by re-installing xorg xserver-org.
    This has happened to me twice in the last few weeks, usually a day or so after installing the Cairo-dock

graphics; nvidia-8400GS with 177.80 driver on ubuntu 8.10

Thanx, Doug
    Last edited by douham; December 23rd, 2008 at 09:08 PM. Reason: typo

Beans

Re: Cairo-dock breaks xserver

how did you install it ?
    if you want to be sure, install it and restart immediately, but I don't think it can break anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Cool Re: Cairo-dock breaks xserver

What Ubuntu version do you use? I have nVIDIA GTX280 and using Cairo-Dock and so far I had no problems, just black background (I started a thread about that). BTW I use Mesa (VESA) GLX extension because I can't install nvidia-glx driver
    ★ GNU/Linux - True horse power under the hood ★

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Cairo-dock breaks xserver

Obsrv, i'm using Ubuntu (gnome) 8.10 ibex. I really just posted this thread cos i couldn't find any threads about my problem and could'nt isolate the cause of my prob in sys logs. I'm up and running again anyway and will try Cairo w/o making any other changes to the system @ the same time

Beans

Yup, still in 2012

After installing Cairo Dock from the 11.10 Ubuntu Software Center, it broke my system the first time it was run

I experienced an immediate system crash, and after rebooting I could no longer boot into the normal "Ubuntu" mode, and I needed to use "Ubuntu 2D," instead.

Luckily earlier this morning, I had mirrored my Ubuntu partition, so it was just a matter of DDing everything back.
    Last edited by Curious00; May 11th, 2012 at 06:16 AM.