Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Webcam no longer works in Cheese

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Webcam no longer works in Cheese

Quote Originally Posted by RunLengthLimited View Post
    What version of ubuntu are you running Hero? Do you remember where you found that tarball?
    I am currently running 8.10, but the cam seemed to work just fine in 8.04.

I completely forgot where I got that tarball, but I do have it saved locally. Any suggestions where I could upload it that would be convenient for everyone?

Beans
    Distro

What version of ubuntu are you running Hero? Do you remember where you found that tarball?
    I am currently running 8.10, but the cam seemed to work just fine in 8.04.

I completely forgot where I got that tarball, but I have it saved locally. Does anyone know a good place to upload it where it would be convenient? It's 3.57 megs, so I can't attach it here.
    Last edited by BigDamnHero; December 31st, 2008 at 12:29 AM.

Beans

Running gstreamer-properties and selecting the actual device on the Video tab seems to have fixed cheese. camorama and several flash-based websites still do not work, though some flash websites do.

Beans

I also downloaded the latest flash10 pluguin alpha from http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html . Unpacking the libflashplayer-10.0.d21.1.linux-x86_64.so.tar.gz gets you a libflashplayer.so. Quit your browser and copy the libflashplayer.so over all instances on your system to update.

Beans
    Distro

Running gstreamer-properties and selecting the actual device on the Video tab seems to have fixed cheese.
    This does not work for me. Running Ubuntu 8.10

Beans

I enabled the proposed repository today to take care of a bug that is likely to shorten the lives of laptop hard disks. The new repo included a newer rev of Cheese, which fixed everything. Photos are captured and videos record at all resolutions. The live display only refreshes once every 750ms or so, but video records properly in sync. To add the 'proposed' repo, add the following line to /etc/apt/sources.list and run Update Manager.

Code:
    deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ intrepid-proposed restricted main multiverse universe

Beans

Hi there!

i just try the cheese included in the proposed repo but still not working at my laptop

the output:
    Code:
    zea@sendai:~$ cheese 
    gsttypefindelement.c(785): gst_type_find_element_activate (): /GstPlayBin:play/GstDecodeBin:decodebin0/GstTypeFindElement:typefind:
    Can't typefind empty stream

** (cheese:13093): WARNING **: could not generate thumbnail for /home/zea/Videos/Webcam/2009-01-19-134942.ogv (video/ogg)

(cheese:13093): GStreamer-WARNING **: pad source:src returned caps which are not a real subset of its template caps

(cheese:13093): GStreamer-WARNING **: pad source:src returned caps which are not a real subset of its template caps

(cheese:13093): GStreamer-WARNING **: pad video_source:src returned caps which are not a real subset of its template caps
    libv4l2: error converting / decoding frame data: v4l-convert: error destination buffer too small
    my kernel:
    Code:
    2.6.27-9-generic
    my cam:
    Code:
    zea@sendai:~$ lsusb 
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 04f2:b016 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd 
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Beans

Hey guys I've found this solution on the italian forum and it worked for me. Give it a try!

Skalka.
    Last edited by skalka; January 20th, 2009 at 01:32 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Cool Re: Webcam no longer works in Cheese

Quote Originally Posted by subluminal View Post
    I enabled the proposed repository today to take care of a bug that is likely to shorten the lives of laptop hard disks. The new repo included a newer rev of Cheese, which fixed everything. Photos are captured and videos record at all resolutions. The live display only refreshes once every 750ms or so, but video records properly in sync. To add the 'proposed' repo, add the following line to /etc/apt/sources.list and run Update Manager.

Code:
    deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ intrepid-proposed restricted main multiverse universe
    I tried this, but it didn't work. (I installed only 37 of the 66 updates because i thought the others were not related to cheese)

Beans
    Distro

This bug was addressed by a new version of cheese and V4L by way of updates in intrepid. This works OK now. If this is solved for the thread starter. can you please put [solved] and mod needs to close this thread ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast