Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Webcam no longer works in Cheese

Beans

Webcam no longer works in Cheese

I'm using an Acer 5920 Laptop with an integrated Crystal Eye webcam. It works just fine in Skype, but not in Cheese. At startup, I get a blank screen (no black, just default window color). Here are the errors I get when starting from the terminal.

Code:
    gsttypefindelement.c(785): gst_type_find_element_activate (): /GstPlayBin:play/GstDecodeBin:decodebin0/GstTypeFindElement:typefind:
    Can't typefind empty stream

** (cheese:11725): WARNING **: could not generate thumbnail for /home/*****/Videos/Webcam/2008-12-20-141957.ogv (video/ogg)

(cheese:11725): GStreamer-WARNING **: pad source:src returned caps which are not a real subset of its template caps

(cheese:11725): GStreamer-WARNING **: pad source:src returned caps which are not a real subset of its template caps

(cheese:11725): GStreamer-WARNING **: pad video_source:src returned caps which are not a real subset of its template caps
    libv4l2: error converting / decoding frame data: v4l-convert: error destination buffer too small

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Webcam no longer works in Cheese

try
    Code:
    gstreamer-properties
    to configure.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
    try
    Code:
    gstreamer-properties
    to configure.
    Good thought, but I've still got zilch after trying all the available options.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I have an acer 5920. Facing same problem on intrepid. Funny thing - this worked great in Hardy and also works well when you boot from intrepid live CD and install cheese.

It seems that cheese does not work on resolution higher than 160x120 which is very very coarse.

Any ideas - I am gonna report it in bugs at launchpad.

Beans
    Distro

Question Re: Webcam no longer works in Cheese

I'm having the same problem with the Crystal Eye webcam on an Acer Aspire 5730z. Cheese only works at 160x120, gstreamer-properties gives me zilch on all setttings, and the same goes for Xsane and Camorama. It works fine with luvcview, but gives me two identical low-res side by side images in GyachE Improved 1.1.59.

Everything worked fine until I thought that I had re-installed 8.10, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I previously had 8.04 installed accidentally. I would hate to have to wait until 9.04 Jaunty to fix this...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I have the same problem. Webcam worked with 8.04 and doesn't work now.

gstreamer-properties works, skype works, but xsane and cheese do not.

Found this bug however: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/260918

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by HDave View Post
    I have the same problem. Webcam worked with 8.04 and doesn't work now.

gstreamer-properties works, skype works, but xsane and cheese do not.

Found this bug however: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/260918
    Same problem

Bus 005 Device 004: ID 041e:4057 Creative Technology, Ltd Live! Cam Optia

Beans

I'm seeing something similar. I have a Creative Live! IM webcam and I'm running Ubuntu 8.10.

luvcview displays the camera stream fine.

Likewise, xawtv displays the cam video data just fine.

Cheese shows a blank screen and gives the following error in the console:

Code:
    (cheese:6021): GStreamer-WARNING **: pad source:src returned caps which are not a real subset of its template caps
    gsttypefindelement.c(785): gst_type_find_element_activate (): /GstPlayBin:play/GstDecodeBin:decodebin0/GstTypeFindElement:typefind:
    Can't typefind empty stream

** (cheese:6021): WARNING **: could not generate thumbnail for /home/jgloza/Videos/Webcam/2008-12-27-130007.ogv (video/ogg)

(cheese:6021): GStreamer-WARNING **: pad source:src returned caps which are not a real subset of its template caps

(cheese:6021): GStreamer-WARNING **: pad video_source:src returned caps which are not a real subset of its template caps
    libv4l2: error converting / decoding frame data: v4l-convert: error destination buffer too small
    camorama gives the following error on startup:
    Code:
    Could not connect to video device (/dev/video0).  Please check connection.
    skype exits silently during its initialization process.

ekiga is able to read and display the camera video.

Browser-enabled video chats (icamonline,meebo) do not recognize the video camera, but do find the microphone on the camera!

Hope this helps.

Beans
    Distro

I downloaded a tarball called uvcvideo-7ec490a64a56.tar.gz and ran a "make" and "make install" and it didn't work. But when I tried a "make all" for some reason it fixed Cheese upon reboot. However GyachE and Kopete still don't work. I hope that helps the Cheese users. Be sure to read the readme file. It gets a little confusing in there...

Beans

What version of ubuntu are you running Hero? Do you remember where you found that tarball?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast