Thread: Ubuntu on a brand new MacBook: Is it worth it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Ubuntu on a brand new MacBook: Is it worth it?

I've got the opportunity to get a new MacBook and really like the way they look and operate. I like OSX, but don't want to give up Ubuntu since I've been using it for about six months now and have really become productive while using it. I've looked up quite a bit about the bugs and issues that come with running Ubuntu on the new MacBook hardware. I've seen things like the sound isn't working and the battery runs down really quickly. So my question to the people who are running is the above: is it worth the trouble? There's a Dell with similar specs that I know would run Intrepid nearly flawlessly on first boot, but I'm leaning toward the MacBook. Thoughts?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu on a brand new MacBook: Is it worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by ColBuendia71 View Post
    I've got the opportunity to get a new MacBook and really like the way they look and operate. I like OSX, but don't want to give up Ubuntu since I've been using it for about six months now and have really become productive while using it. I've looked up quite a bit about the bugs and issues that come with running Ubuntu on the new MacBook hardware. I've seen things like the sound isn't working and the battery runs down really quickly. So my question to the people who are running is the above: is it worth the trouble? There's a Dell with similar specs that I know would run Intrepid nearly flawlessly on first boot, but I'm leaning toward the MacBook. Thoughts?
    If you want OSX, then you need a Mac...

Beans
    Distro

I'm aware that I need a Mac if I want OSX. But I'm going back and forth on which I want more: Ubuntu or OSX. If Ubuntu doesn't run well on on the MacBook, then I might choose to forgo it altogether. How about programs like Fink? Do they do a good job of bringing open source apps to OSX?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ColBuendia71 View Post
    I'm aware that I need a Mac if I want OSX. But I'm going back and forth on which I want more: Ubuntu or OSX. If Ubuntu doesn't run well on on the MacBook, then I might choose to forgo it altogether. How about programs like Fink? Do they do a good job of bringing open source apps to OSX?
    Since the hardware is so new, there are some hurdles, but it will get better with time. We have made great strides in getting fixes for these new releases and should be included with the next Ubuntu release at the latest.

Fink / macports / etc do fairly well, but everything is compiled when you install it with those methods. I find them useful for getting small utilities or libraries, but for full apps it is easier to just go get them online (GIMP for example).

Beans
    Distro

So perhaps it might be smart to go ahead and put Intrepid on the MacBook and then just work at tweaking it as bug fixes come out. During the time that I own it, I'm sure that updates will make it increasingly functional. Thanks for your help and it looks like I'll be adding the Mac forums to my RSS subscriptions.

Beans

Dual Boot?
    Asus 1015px
    Macbook Pro 4.1

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisj303 View Post
    Dual Boot?
    Yeah, that would be the goal.

Beans

I'm sure it won't be long at all before all the bugs are ironed out.

Compared to the bad old days of 6.06 - Mac compatibility has really, really improved.

You will always have OS X to use until everything is sorted anyway - Win win situation, if you ask me.
    Asus 1015px
    Macbook Pro 4.1

Beans

Absolutely dual boot... it sounds like you'd like the Mac anyway but just don't want to give up Ubuntu. Like the post above me, win win either way - you've got the OS X you want and with dual boot you can stick to Ubuntu when you'd like as well. I'm currently dual booting and stay in Linux as much as possible. There some things I just haven't found to be beaten by Linux yet for slideshow creation, making movies, DVDs, etc. For all the crap people give Apple, they have come up with some wickedly quick ways to put together a sweet presentation, slideshow, movie, etc.

My two cents. The support in these forums is unbelievable. I'm not even using this distro and I find tons of solutions here. You'll get your issues worked out. The nice thing about dual booting with a stable/pre-hardware-configured OS is that you always have one to fall back on. Thank God I've been able to boot into OS X when I trashed my Linux side doing something dumb that I hadn't figured out how to fix!

-John