Thread: Screen corrupt - blank window(s)

Beans

Screen corrupt - blank window(s)

Could anyone suggest me how to tackle the following? I installed Ubuntu yesterday, it looks like my screen settings / driver are not OK. When opening some windows, a white box opens, but there is nothing in it - text is not shown. Also, small parts of already closed windows remain visible -where they should not.
    Tnnks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Screen corrupt - blank window(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tokenmus View Post
    Could anyone suggest me how to tackle the following? I installed Ubuntu yesterday, it looks like my screen settings / driver are not OK. When opening some windows, a white box opens, but there is nothing in it - text is not shown. Also, small parts of already closed windows remain visible -where they should not.
    Tnnks
    Could you tell us which Graphics card you're using? and if you've enabled anything under System - Administration - Hardware Drivers?

Beans

tnks for your help, i have not enabled anything, need to check the Graphics card. I would say it's VGA, that's all i know, but will check in my computer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

OK, this is a driver issue. What graphics card do you have (Nvidia or ATI) and do you know which driver you are running??

I would look on the forums and the web for instructions on installing ENVY from the command line - this is a utility that installs graphics card drivers (mostly from Nvidia, but I think also some from ATI). Here's one set of instructions, I'll keep looking for others.

Good luck

EDIT:

Here's another set - this one tells you how to"Kill X" thereby getting to the command line.
    Last edited by Zeedok; December 22nd, 2008 at 10:41 AM.