Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto setup Folding@Home

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Howto setup Folding@Home

Quote Originally Posted by OfficeLinebacker
    Any update on this, jpkotta? I'd like to do the forceasm -verbosity 9 thing, also.

Also, the script still downloads version 5.02 of the client, while the most current release is 5.04.

PM on the way.
    The latest script on the wiki and howto has full support for options. You should install the latest script. Also 5.04 is a beta client. The script only downloads the latest stable version. If you really want to download 5.04 then open Gedit or your favorite text editor and find all instances of 5.02 and replace them with 5.04 and save the file. If the editor ask to overwrite in the proccess of saving say yes.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_in_Hollywood
    So I saw the .zip file. Clicked it for downloading and "saved" it rather than having Firefox "open" it. It saved. Then I could do nothing with it. Called Nautilis and had the Archive Manager "open" it. A list of file appeared. The README had no instructions as to how to execute the installation. OK. I will try running the .sh in a terminal with ./

Wish me luck!!
    Well did it work, I hope so.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Quote Originally Posted by ndhskp
    The latest script on the wiki and howto has full support for options. You should install the latest script. Also 5.04 is a beta client. The script only downloads the latest stable version. If you really want to download 5.04 then open Gedit or your favorite text editor and find all instances of 5.02 and replace them with 5.04 and save the file. If the editor ask to overwrite in the proccess of saving say yes.
    You say I should install the latest version; what if I already have a version installed?

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Also, how do I know which version I have installed?

I think folding@home should be a package you can install via apt-get / synaptic. That would be a big boost for the project.
    Last edited by OfficeLinebacker; April 24th, 2006 at 12:04 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Stealing my avatar, eh? Or maybe I stole yours? Well, the more fractals, the better.

To run with the beta client, you have to edit exactly one line in the installer and exactly one line in the init script. Maybe I'll add a question in the installer that asks if you want the beta client or not. The magic line is the one with "executable=". I would recommend removing everything first before getting the beta client, so you have a clean install.

You can safely rerun the installer with the "update" option. It will not overwrite your current options files (unless you tell it to), nor the work queue. You can update if even while the client is running. Update only reinstalls the helper scripts, it does nothing with the client itself.

I don't think it's possible to make this a .deb file. You must download the client from Stanford's web site. You have to manually configure the client (unless you want to fold as Anonymous for Team Default). I don't think putting it in the repos makes it any easier to install. Anyone who wants to run it will search the forums or the wiki when they don't find it in the repos, and find the installer. And the main reason is that I'm lazy, and I don't want to learn how to make a .deb package (at least not right now). Someone else is welcome to, as long as the above problems are worked around.
    Help yourself: Search the community docs or try other resources.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Spencer
    Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.
    Let science use your computer when you aren't: Folding@Home.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Quote Originally Posted by jpkotta
    Stealing my avatar, eh? Or maybe I stole yours? Well, the more fractals, the better.

To run with the beta client, you have to edit exactly one line in the installer and exactly one line in the init script. Maybe I'll add a question in the installer that asks if you want the beta client or not. The magic line is the one with "executable=". I would recommend removing everything first before getting the beta client, so you have a clean install.

You can safely rerun the installer with the "update" option. It will not overwrite your current options files (unless you tell it to), nor the work queue. You can update if even while the client is running. Update only reinstalls the helper scripts, it does nothing with the client itself.

I don't think it's possible to make this a .deb file. You must download the client from Stanford's web site. You have to manually configure the client (unless you want to fold as Anonymous for Team Default). I don't think putting it in the repos makes it any easier to install. Anyone who wants to run it will search the forums or the wiki when they don't find it in the repos, and find the installer. And the main reason is that I'm lazy, and I don't want to learn how to make a .deb package (at least not right now). Someone else is welcome to, as long as the above problems are worked around.
    My avatar is brighter and bigger than yours! OfficeLinebacker FTW!

OK, I am not too worried about the version of the executable. What about options like verbosity -9 and advmethods, etc?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

From the README:

Configuration

There are two ways to configure the client. First, you can use the client's
    question/answer configuration. The reconfigure.sh script, located in the
    foldingathome directory, is the proper way to do this. Using it ensures that
    everything will be updated correctly.

The other route to configuration is by giving options to the client when
    starting it. The init script will get these options from two sources. The
    first is /etc/default/foldingathome. This is for system-wide options. All
    clients will look for it, even those installed to a user's $HOME directory. The
    other place is in the configuration directory, foldingathome/config. In here
    there should be an option file for each client. These per-client options will
    override the system-wide options.
    This makes sense to me. If it is confusing to you, let me know so I can fix it.
    Help yourself: Search the community docs or try other resources.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Spencer
    Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.
    Let science use your computer when you aren't: Folding@Home.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by ndhskp
    Well did it work, I hope so.
    Sadly, I report that death of my Folding at Home Project.

I tried the tar.gz, I tried the .zip and neither will write directories, etc. I'm more than baffled.

I haven't modified a thing of Ubuntu, without using Synaptic, Update Manager or Automatix. I haven't modified a .conf file anywhere. According to Update Manager, I have "everything" up-to-date.

So, for now, I give up and will revisit this issue once Dapper Drake is up and running.

NUTS!!!
    AMD FX-6300, 8gig ddr3, MSI 970 Gaming, 256G WD blue SSD, GeForce GT710, HP LJ Pro M277-fdw

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Quote Originally Posted by jpkotta
    From the README:

This makes sense to me. If it is confusing to you, let me know so I can fix it.
    jpkotta, I just ran reconfigure, and that's only for options within the program. I am talking about command line arguments. most notably -verbosity 9. How do I set those? Or are those in the realm of the second way?

edit: the second way seems to just allow editing of the client.cfg file, which again does not affect the arguments passed to the program, I don't believe
    Last edited by OfficeLinebacker; April 25th, 2006 at 01:42 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_in_Hollywood
    Sadly, I report that death of my Folding at Home Project.

I tried the tar.gz, I tried the .zip and neither will write directories, etc. I'm more than baffled.

I haven't modified a thing of Ubuntu, without using Synaptic, Update Manager or Automatix. I haven't modified a .conf file anywhere. According to Update Manager, I have "everything" up-to-date.

So, for now, I give up and will revisit this issue once Dapper Drake is up and running.

NUTS!!!
    Shoot, that always sucks when you run up against something like that. I know that I have been in that situation myself many times. Experiance Ubuntu some more and someday in the future just try agin. Dapper Drake 6.06 comes out in June so maybe sometime this fall. Good luck.

Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast