Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto setup Folding@Home

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Howto setup Folding@Home

Quote Originally Posted by OfficeLinebacker
    jpkotta, I just ran reconfigure, and that's only for options within the program. I am talking about command line arguments. most notably -verbosity 9. How do I set those? Or are those in the realm of the second way?

edit: the second way seems to just allow editing of the client.cfg file, which again does not affect the arguments passed to the program, I don't believe
    Okay when you downloaded the script and uncompressed it there should have been 2 files called client and system. Look in those files for an example. I don't use those files myself, I used to until jpkotta pointed something out to me. Any way I can't remember if you edit the files then run the installer or edit the files in the folding dir, you'll have to ask jpkotta about that. Example of client.options file. Remember Linux command line arguments go here or system, of course.
    Code:
    # Folding@Home Linux client options.

# This file contains per-client options.  It will override options specified in 
    # /etc/default/foldingathome, if it exists.

# Use the CLIENT_OPTS variable to set any options that you want the client to  
    # use.                              
    # Example: CLIENT_OPTS='-advmethods -forceasm'                                 

# Run the client executable with the help option (e.g. "FAH504-Linux.exe -help")
    # to learn what options are available.

# Options specified here will override system-wide options.
    # To keep system-wide options, use CLIENT_OPTS="$CLIENT_OPTS -opt1 -opt2 ..."
    # Remember that double quotes are different than single quotes.

#CLIENT_OPTS=''
    Oh ya, I almost forgot to tell you that these files only come with the more recent scripts. Like I said you probably want to download and install the latest script. Uninstall your current one by using
    Code:
    sudo ./folding_install.sh uninstall
    Last edited by ndhskp; April 25th, 2006 at 02:59 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

OK, thanks. I will wait for Jonathan to post again before taking any action.

I did notice that I do not appear to have a /etc/default/foldingathome file on my system.

Thanks for all your help guys. I am used to doing this in WIndows with regedit, I like knowing what my performance fraction is.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Download the latest installer tarball from the wiki. Unpack and run the installer with the update option. You can edit the relevant files before or after you install. If you're installing to the system, then the relevant files will be /etc/default/foldingathome and /opt/foldingathome/config/client?.options. BTW, most config files for daemons ("services" in Windows) are in /etc/default (on Debian systems, anyway). I guess the nice thing about the registry is that everything is in one place. Of course, that's also the problem with it. I really wish distributions would standardize where files go.
    Help yourself: Search the community docs or try other resources.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Spencer
    Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.
    Let science use your computer when you aren't: Folding@Home.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

OK, got it. I think I had a version from March. DLed the version from 4/21 and edited the systemwide options file. Thanks! (And sorry for being so dense--your help is really, REALLY appreciated).

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Hey, whoever uses this howto, post what team you fold for, and if you wish your username. I fold for 2cpu.com. team #3074. Lumberg is my username!

Beans
    Hidden!

Hey, whoever uses this howto, post what team you fold for, and if you wish your username. I fold for 2cpu.com. team #3074. Lumberg is my username!
    Uh, actually the social talk happens over at Team Ubuntu located here: Folding social talk. Please use that thread for social talk. Don't worry OfficeLinebacker they are very friendly over there. I have had good conversations there. So come on over and join us dude!

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Quote Originally Posted by ndhskp
    Uh, actually the social talk happens over at Team Ubuntu located here: Folding social talk. Please use that thread for social talk. Don't worry OfficeLinebacker they are very friendly over there. I have had good conversations there. So come on over and join us dude!
    Oh OK, thanks for keeping me in check in a friendly way.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Well, whatever I did, folding at home now no longer is automatically started at startup.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

OK, going nuts here. I finally got folding to start on my machine, but the flags I specified in

/opt/foldingathome/config/client1.options

Code:

# use.

# Run the client executable with the help option (e.g. "FAH504-Linux.exe -help")

#CLIENT_OPTS='-verbosity 9 -forceasm'
    did not get applied!

GRRRR!

Beans
    Hidden!

OK, going nuts here. I finally got folding to start on my machine, but the flags I specified in

/opt/foldingathome/config/client1.options

Code:

# use.

#CLIENT_OPTS='-verbosity 9 -forceasm'
    did not get applied!

GRRRR!
    Whenever there is an # sign in front of the options that means it is commented out. In other words it says ignore me. So just remove the # sign.
    Code:
    CLIENT_OPTS='-verbosity 9 -forceasm'

Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast