Page 22 of 44 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto setup Folding@Home

Beans

Re: Howto setup Folding@Home

What version of Ubuntu you're on? (system > about Ubuntu)

I don't know what the problem is but somebody else will. Welcome to Ubuntu and welcome to the Ubuntu folding team!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thanks for the welcome. I'm on Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft

As I'm reading the instructions again, they state that the script resides in

/etc/init.d/foldingathome start

but when I actually navigate to /etc/ there is no init.d at all...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by xyrcncp View Post
    Hi, I'm a total noob to Linux, but I managed to follow the instructions on installing, but I can't get it to run, I get this in Terminal after entering sudo /etc/init.d/foldingathome start :

/etc/init.d/foldingathome: 23: [[: not found
    /etc/init.d/foldingathome: 33: [[: not found
    /etc/init.d/foldingathome: 147: [[: not found
    /etc/init.d/foldingathome: 147: arith: syntax error: "++num"
    This is a bug that was caused by the switch from bash to dash in Edgy. The newest scripts in the wiki have this fixed. Read the wiki for quick instructions for installing/updating the scripts. Link: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FoldingAtHome

/etc/init.d has to exist. Otherwise you would be getting "No such file or directory" errors instead of syntax errors.
    Help yourself: Search the community docs or try other resources.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Spencer
    Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.
    Let science use your computer when you aren't: Folding@Home.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by xyrcncp View Post
    Thanks for the welcome. I'm on Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft

As I'm reading the instructions again, they state that the script resides in

/etc/init.d/foldingathome start

but when I actually navigate to /etc/ there is no init.d at all...:confused:
    that's not possible :)
    either you are somewhere not in /etc, or you are looking at the listing and missing the init.d in it. what is the output of the following command (type/paste it exactly):
    Code:
    ls -ald /etc/init.d

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by nanotube View Post
    that's not possible
    either you are somewhere not in /etc, or you are looking at the listing and missing the init.d in it. what is the output of the following command (type/paste it exactly):
    Code:
    ls -ald /etc/init.d
    I typed the command and got
    [code]drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-02-22 20:54 /etc/init.d]/code]

I guess it does exist....oops

Quote Originally Posted by jpkotta
    This is a bug that was caused by the switch from bash to dash in Edgy. The newest scripts in the wiki have this fixed. Read the wiki for quick instructions for installing/updating the scripts. Link: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FoldingAtHome
    Great! I followed the wiki and got it running. I checked the system monitor and the CPU usage is at 95-100%, which I assume it's working.

Just a quick question, if I need to stop the client for some reason, how do I go about it. I was reading the wiki and it mentioned finstall, is that like a script just to start/stop/status the client?

I assume that checking the "status" would let me know the stats on what's going on?
    Last edited by xyrcncp; February 23rd, 2007 at 05:27 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You control it with the init script. All init scripts are supposed to have start, stop, and restart commands, and this one is no exception. Many have a status command too, and for this one, status will print out the end of the log file for each client. You may rather simply look at the log file manually because that way you don't have to use sudo. I have the following aliases in my ~/.bashrc:
    Code:
    alias fah_log='less /opt/foldingathome/1/FAHlog.txt'
    alias fah_tail='tail -f /opt/foldingathome/1/FAHlog.txt'
    There are also little applets (e.g. for gdesklets, gkrellm, etc.) that provide a GUI to monitor the client.

finstall is another script that basically does the same thing as this one (which I'm unimaginatively calling fah_install). Of course, I think mine is better.

Beans

Did you guys understand what caused that problem? (I didn't) If you did, it's cool, no need to explain really. I was just wondering how this problem was created and if some process should be improved to avoid this in the future. o_O

I know, I'm a funnyguy.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The problem is that /bin/sh used to point to /bin/bash, but in Edgy it points to /bin/dash. dash only understands Bourne shell, while bash understands Bash language, which is a superset of Bourne shell (hence Bourne Again SHell). I had bash-isms in the scripts, which dash doesn't understand.

The way to prevent it is to RTFM. I should have RTFMed the fact that bash still acts like bash when it is called as /bin/sh, and that those statements don't work in Bourne shell. People who are running Edgy and have the problem at this point (not the ones that first reported it, obviously) should RTFM (i.e. the wiki or this thread), because it is a known problem with a easy fix. Don't take the above statements as being harsh, they are simply the best way I can see to prevent problems of this type. The "F" in RTFM means the same thing as the "F" in FVWM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

You guys are gonna hate me, another n00bish question I bet....

I'm trying to get stats on what my computer is actually doing, I've read that the unitinfo.txt file shows this info and that it should be located in the opt/foldingathome/ folder, but the only file there is: MyFolding.html and it tries to pull up /opt/foldingathome/1/unitinfo.txt but firefox says it doesn't exist.

Beans

Are you starting your Folding@Home from another directory than where it is actually located? Folding@Home will drop those files in the directory where you started running Folding@Home
    Visit my website ruudbeukema.nl for linux howto's... (and other things)

Page 22 of 44 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast