Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto setup Folding@Home

Beans

Re: Howto setup Folding@Home

strange, i installed without sudo, and all went well until i tried to start it, which gives me:
    ~/fah_install$ start-stop-daemon: Unable to open pidfile `/var/tmp/FAH502-Linux.exe-1.pid' for writing: Permission denied (Permission denied)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Please post the results of the following command:
    Code:
    ls -ld /var/tmp
    If that command doesn't work as a user, then run it with sudo.
    Help yourself: Search the community docs or try other resources.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Spencer
    Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.
    Let science use your computer when you aren't: Folding@Home.

Beans

Excellent Post told me exactly what i needed to do.

Thanx.

Beans

So what is the deal, is this going to clog up my system now? I thought this was just something that would use my cpu when the screensaver turned on?

Beans

Dare i ask if it would be possible to change the folder it installs to? I dual boot XP on here and would like the two OS's to have access to the same work files instead of doing their own thing.

I tried to figure things out on my own but this isn't exactly a simple batch file we have here. The other FAH install is on a mounted FAT32 drive. "/media/bigpart/fah"

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Quote Originally Posted by swaaye View Post
    Dare i ask if it would be possible to change the folder it installs to? I dual boot XP on here and would like the two OS's to have access to the same work files instead of doing their own thing.

I tried to figure things out on my own but this isn't exactly a simple batch file we have here. The other FAH install is on a mounted FAT32 drive. "/media/bigpart/fah"
    You can't work cross platform in FAH. GO to the actual FAH forums if you want info on FAH on dual-boot systems. If you don't spend a significant amount of time on both OSs, you need to turn timeless WUs on at least the one you spend less time in.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Tobba25 View Post
    So what is the deal, is this going to clog up my system now? I thought this was just something that would use my cpu when the screensaver turned on?
    FAH runs all the time, not just when the screensaver runs. It runs at a very low priority, so you should never feel an impact (other than memory usage, but you can control that).

http://techreport.com/etc/2002q4/fol...t/index.x?pg=1

I was going to add this to the wiki page, but for some reason I can't edit anything in the wiki.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by OfficeLinebacker View Post
    You can't work cross platform in FAH. GO to the actual FAH forums if you want info on FAH on dual-boot systems. If you don't spend a significant amount of time on both OSs, you need to turn timeless WUs on at least the one you spend less time in.
    The Windows console client works in Wine, so you can run cross platform.

If you use the installer script from the wiki, you can just install as usual, and after installation:
    1. move /opt/foldingathome to whatever you want
    2. change the line "fah_dir=/opt/foldingathome" in the script /etc/init.d/foldingathome to point to whereever you moved it
    3. change the line that looks like "executable=FAH502-Linux.exe" to have the name of the windows client (or rename the windows client)
    4. change any lines that look like "--exec $client_dir/$executable" to "--exec wine $client_dir/$executable"

Disclaimer: I have no idea if this will actually work, but it should be at least a step in the right direction. You can always write your own init script too.

Also, I'd bet that the Linux client runs in Cygwin.
    Last edited by jpkotta; September 24th, 2006 at 02:46 AM. Reason: cygwin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Hoary 5.04

Okay, in need of a little help. I was able to set this up before but for some reason cannot get it to work now. I go thru the steps and extract the folder to home/sleepy127/folding and in that file is the fah install folder. I get to step 4 and I get a command not found error. I try to double click the folding install file and choose run in terminal and terminal pops up and closes immediately. If I choose to run it it does nothing. I can not figure out what I am doing wrong.

This is the last command that I tried. I modified the original command thinking that maybe it was not specific to my install and I received the same command not found reply.
    sudo ./folding/folding_install.sh install
    Last edited by sleepy127; September 26th, 2006 at 03:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The directory that gets created is fah_install, not folding. You can see what files (and directories) are in the current directory with the "ls" command (ls = LiSt). Look here for more than you ever wanted to know about the command line and Unix/Linux in general.

Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast