Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grub Error on first boot (error 2)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Grub Error on first boot (error 2)?

I just got done installing ubuntu for the second time and have reached the same point both times.

After the installation is completed and the system restarts, I get 'Error 2' while the Grub is trying to load. Previously, I had LinuxMCE installed without any errors at the grub and installed Ubuntu over the same partition, could it be a hangup from the old linux install?

Any ideas how to fix?

Beans

Re: Grub Error on first boot (error 2)?

ive gotten an error 2 in the past, if i'm not mistaken it means that supposedly theres no Linux installed. but if youre sure that it installed alright then the next thing i can think of is that you installed Grub on the standard partition and it isnt the partition where Linux is, the only case where i think that would occur is if you have two hard drives and you install linux on one and grub on the other

Beans
    Distro

Ill try it again but I was certain I had done it correctly, I do have multiple HDD's but I thought I had chosen the correct one.

Ive got the time, never hurts to give it another try I suppose lol

Beans
    Distro

Just reinstalled, rebooted and got the same error. What the heck is going on here??

Beans
    Distro

I can boot the livecd without issue (on it right now) but I cant get passed the grub error. Please anybody help me out on this one?

Beans
    Distro

Just to verify, I have followed the steps listed here > https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/7137 to no avail. Also, I have used Gparted to delete everything on the hard drive and tried to ubuntu format the unallocated space.

Still no avail. Is it possible my MoBo is incompatable? I have the Asus M2N-Plus

Beans
    Distro

Could you post the end portion of your menu.lst? You will need to mount the partition with Ubuntu on it and then go to /boot/grub/menu.lst on that partition.

Also, post the results of the following command:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu
    That will list your partitions.
    Any piece of knowledge I acquire today has a value at this moment exactly proportioned to my skill to deal with it. Tomorrow, when I know more, I recall that piece of knowledge and use it better.
    -Mark Van Doren

Beans
    Distro

Literally just found a temporary fix for the grub issue. The motherboard I have had an option in the bios that enabled an 'ASAP' drive that has something to do with Vista ready Boost. I disabled that and it got past the Grub error, but now I have a screen that says:

Posting this in a new thread as well-

'Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:
    -Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
    -Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
    -Check root- (did the system wait for the right device?)
    -Missing Modules (cat/proc/modules; 1s /dev)
    ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/0b74cbf5-f202-43cc-8484-7ea539dd0573 does not exist. Dropping to shell!

BusyBox ve1.10.2 (Ubuntu 1:1.10.2-1ubuntu6) built-in shell (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built in commands.

(initramfs) _[prompt here]

I wouldnt even know where to begin addressing this one...

Beans
    Distro

It looks like your system is looking for a partition and can't find it. Post the results of the following two commands:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu
    blkid
    The first one is going to list info about your partitions, the second command will list the UUIDs for your partitions.

Also, if you could post the contents of your fstab by running:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /media/disk/etc/fstab
    EDIT: Need the fstab from the HD partition. Updated code, be sure to replace /media/disk/ with the appropriate mount point for your root partition.
    Last edited by falcon61102; December 7th, 2008 at 09:58 AM.
    Any piece of knowledge I acquire today has a value at this moment exactly proportioned to my skill to deal with it. Tomorrow, when I know more, I recall that piece of knowledge and use it better.
    -Mark Van Doren

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by falcon61102 View Post
    It looks like your system is looking for a partition and can't find it. Post the results of the following two commands:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu
    blkid
    The first one is going to list info about your partitions, the second command will list the UUIDs for your partitions.

Also, if you could post the contents of your fstab by running:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /media/disk/etc/fstab
    EDIT: Need the fstab from the HD partition. Updated code, be sure to replace /media/disk/ with the appropriate mount point for your root partition.
    Getting ready to do these, what is my mount point?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast