Thread: [SOLVED] Clarification on Thead Timezones/anouncements

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

[SOLVED] Clarification on Thead Timezones/anouncements

Thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1016261

This is not a thread to beg to get this thread reopened I do not actually care about this specific thread/instance as it is over and this announcement is not longer relevant.

I like many other users of these forums are not Americans and such to not understand EST/... all the USA specific time zones I would merely like clarification why on an international forum an admin would choose to be to assume that Americans (and I say this because this is their time zone) would not understand the international timezone UTC/GMT in regards to their own.

Instead of other forum members having to learn American timezones I would suggest

1) Having the timezones in an international format like GMT/UTC and still having that link to the converter.

2) Now I am sure this one is much harder and not really feasible but having the forums convert the timezone to the users defined one. Much the same way that threads/posts are done. (This would be ideal but more then likely technically not possible)

I am not posting this in the FFH forum as this was already a thread there but this was closed by ubuntu-geek with out a forum of discussion.

I would also like to include his original post
    We'll stick with EST and provide a link in the future. Not everyone knows UTC either.
    He later changed to
    We'll see how it goes and keep the suggestions in mind for next time.
    If launchpad announces in UTC i can't see my these forums cant.

Beans

Re: Clarification on Thead Timezones/anouncements

I am with you , these time zones confuse the heck out of me

I miss online meetings all the time , I never know if I am coming going or never was anyway

Heck New Zealand see's the new day first so it should be all standard NZ time , or something

Damn now I have a headache thinking about time , or did the headache start an hour ago or tomorrow
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    I am with you , these time zones confuse the heck out of me

I miss online meetings all the time , I never know if I am coming going or never was anyway

Heck New Zealand see's the new day first so it should be all standard NZ time , or something

Damn now I have a headache thinking about time , or did the headache start an hour ago or tomorrow
    Honestly thanks for your understanding. Also this must be the most light hearted thread ever been posted in the RC

Just for the admins to keep in mind.

BTW: If people want to be on the internet they at least need to understand their timezone relative to GMT/UTC.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

We usually announce in UTC, but didn't this week. Part of it is that four of the five admins now live in the US (I didn't, but do now) and three of us missed a meeting a little over a week ago because we got confused. I blame the holidays and all the party food, etc.

Thanks for keeping it lighthearted.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    We usually announce in UTC, but didn't this week. Part of it is that four of the five admins now live in the US (I didn't, but do now) and three of us missed a meeting a little over a week ago because we got confused. I blame the holidays and all the party food, etc.

Thanks for keeping it lighthearted.
    Seriously there are more important things to get angy/upset about.

Not only does this make it more difficult but shows the members of the ubuntu community that USA rules the world and we all need to follow USA standards.... While I am quite sure this was not the intention it does come across like this.

Just for next time please follow an international standard

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I see your point. We will try.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!