Ubuntu

Re: New Linux distro: Chakra

kdemod has shaman in kdemod4.1

shaman is to pacman as synaptic is to apt-get

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Out of curiosity, how does Pacman hold up against APT and RPM?

I just know that:

-Apt-Get is decently speedy on this particular computer I'm using.
    -RPM distros take a near eternity to manage packages.

But I hear Pacman is lightweight and fast. Just wondering.

Beans

Pacman is awesome, plus if you change ~/.bashrc to add the line ILoveCandy it will make a pacman eating pills when downloading

I'll get this tonight methinks, I love arch and kdemod

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Psychopath View Post
    Out of curiosity, how does Pacman hold up against APT and RPM?

I just know that:

-Apt-Get is decently speedy on this particular computer I'm using.
    -RPM distros take a near eternity to manage packages.

But I hear Pacman is lightweight and fast. Just wondering.
    untill i tried Pacman I used APT, i now use Arch Linux with Pacman an I guess I will never turn back...

Pacman is very simple, smart and avanced (not advances to use)and yet VERY light.

Here is a lightning course:

to Sync packages (apt-get update)
    Code:
    pacman -Sy
    to upgrade system (apt-get upgrade)
    Code:
    pacman -Su
    to install package with it's dependencies (apt-get install <packagename>
    Code:
    pacman -S <packagename>
    to install package without dependencies (not possible in with APT as I know it)
    Code:
    pacman -Sd
    to remove packages and it's dependencies:
    Code:
    pacman -R
    to remove packageswithout it's dependencies:
    Code:
    pacman -Rd
    and you can combind all together in defferent ways, IE:
    Code:
    pacman -Syud
    this will synd the repo and upgrade packages witout dependencies

this is the basic (what you must know), there are a lot more to go....

Beans

Very handy tutorial there on the commands. pacman is super fast and very very robust.
    My favorite distros: Archbang / Manjaro / Sabayon
    Registered Linux user number 478398
    Other Notables: Ubuntu, Pinguy OS, ZorinOS, Vectorlinux

Beans

I think pacman and apt are comparable in their way of use. The commands are simple and it works straight away.
    But from my experience pacman is faster but that is also due to pacman having (at least originally) only three repositories (core, extra, community) and most of the time you won't use more than 4 repositories.
    Apt on the other hand has more (in Ubuntu each sync loads 50+ different things).
    Dependency-wise they are both excellent. At least I never had any problems with them.

RPM .... can't say much concerning that. The only time I used it was when I had OpenSuse installed and so the only comments I can give are for Yast. Compared to pacman or apt the speed was really slow but I could still live with it. What annoyed me more was that sometimes he would show me dependency conflicts with some choices to correct them and each choice would result in more conflicts. Maybe thats some remnant of the RPM dependency hell. Or maybe it was Yast's doing. Anyways, it wasn't fun.

All in all I would say pacman (slightly) over apt over Yast. But
    Last edited by Tanis Shadow; December 22nd, 2008 at 11:07 PM.

Beans

I think, like some others said, they just wanted to make arch available to those who can't quite manage the install and config yet.
    i suppose if someone tries it and decides to stay, they may well be inclined to learn the 'from scratch' install.
    It'll be nice for others to see what you arch guys are going on about

Arch this Arch that.... now the peasants have Crutch!
    (and for the love of whomsoever that you may believe in, please get that the last line was in jest)

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by BGFG View Post
    I think, like some others said, they just wanted to make arch available to those who can't quite manage the install and config yet.
    i suppose if someone tries it and decides to stay, they may well be inclined to learn the 'from scratch' install.
    It'll be nice for others to see what you arch guys are going on about

Arch this Arch that.... now the peasants have Crutch!
    (and for the love of whomsoever that you may believe in, please get that the last line was in jest)
    I just worry that those who stay will expect things to be just as easy as it was to install. Then they'll run into a typical Arch moment that requires some digging and get all mad about how "hard this stupid distro is" and go back to Ubuntu.

To me, the Arch installation is insanely helpful in that once you've gotten through it, maintaining the system is a snap outside of infrequent problems when a new kernel or something comes out and even that's simple enough to deal with.

If Chakra really is an overhaul of Arch entirely, then that's one thing. But if it's just Arch + KDEMod with an idiot-proof installer then that's a problem.
    Want me to punchisize your face, For free??

Beans

You say 'go back to Ubuntu' like it's a bad thing
    Seriously though, i see your point. When i looked at the Arch wiki (amazing documentation by the way) I realized exactly where i was in the linux world and where i want to be.

I love Ubuntu, but yeah, I'd loke to get to the level of hardware/software understanding where i can install and customize Arch. Something to look forward to.

In the meanwhile, I'll check out Crutch, It looks really interesting and it will be my only opportunity to check out KDE, cause in ubuntu I'm a gnome man.

Why did i type 'Crutch' ?
    Last edited by BGFG; December 23rd, 2008 at 01:51 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
    I just worry that those who stay will expect things to be just as easy as it was to install. Then they'll run into a typical Arch moment that requires some digging and get all mad about how "hard this stupid distro is" and go back to Ubuntu.

To me, the Arch installation is insanely helpful in that once you've gotten through it, maintaining the system is a snap outside of infrequent problems when a new kernel or something comes out and even that's simple enough to deal with.

If Chakra really is an overhaul of Arch entirely, then that's one thing. But if it's just Arch + KDEMod with an idiot-proof installer then that's a problem.

I agree. Prime example is the recent update to Xorg, that "broke" it for some users. I can't bear to imagine what an inexperienced Arch user that installed Chakra would do in that situation. They would probably freak out and complain about how terrible Arch is. These people probably don't know how to work from an exclusively CLI system. Give me links and a working internet connection and I'll be fine.

For me, the whole joy of using Arch is the fact that I "made" it. Granted the wiki was there every step of the way, but never before have I had such a detailed understanding of the way my system works.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast