Thread: Need help installing 3rd OS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Need help installing 3rd OS

Hello,

I have a box with 2 SATA drives. On the primary is Windows XP only. On the second SATA is Ubuntu 8.10 only. Both have tons of space available.

I would like to install Fedora on the same drive as Ubuntu. Will Fedora mess up my MBR? What advice would you give me?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Need help installing 3rd OS

It messed up my install. Fedora uses a different kind of boot loader which didn't pick-up my other OS's.
    | Corsair Carbide Series® 300R | Intel Core i5 650@3.20Ghz| OCZ-Vertex3 120 Gb SSD | Western Digital 640 Gb HDD | Western Digital 1 Tb HDD |
    |Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950 Extreme | Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64 | Windows 10 Pro |

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tad1073 View Post
    It messed up my install. Fedora uses a different kind of boot loader which didn't pick-up my other OS's.
    +1 fedora broke and I had to use mandriva to get it's bootloader back

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I would advise you not to make a separate /boot (which I think is the Fedora default action). When you get to the Grub installation section, tell it to write the bootloader to the Fedora / partition ('/dev/sd??), not the MBR. Then just add a 'configfile' or 'chainloader' entry for Fedora to your ubuntu Grub menu.lst like this.
    Last edited by logos34; December 21st, 2008 at 10:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hmmm...doesn't look as easy as the Ubuntu install (which was flawless). I'll study up on the GRUB page, and if I think I can pull it off, I'll give it a go.

Thanks for your inputs!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

If you install the bootloader for fedora in the same partition as you install fedora you can just add a chainloader in the ubuntu /boot/grub/menu.lst for fedora and you should be OK.

Code:
    #    Fedora
    root   (hd1,1)
    makeactive
    chanloader +1
    just make sure you have the partition right. This will hand off the boot to the fedora bootloader and get out of the way. This will avoid any problems with kernel updates etc. I have 4 OSs on 4 drives on my machine and chainload 3 of them from the grub on hd0.

grub uses hda for drive designations. If you have sda drives they are mapped in /boot/grub/device.map

I keep a few backups of that menu.lst and device.map just in case....