Thread: unexpected slow performance

Beans

Red face unexpected slow performance

Hello,

i have an amd athlon 4000+ ,2100 MHz
    2GB RAM
    nvidia 9500GT 512mb ram and the last few days i 've installed an ATI HD2900 PRo 512 MB DDR 3 ram.

My ubuntu version is 8.10.
    I am experiecing slow performance while i am running linux.Especially when i am using some compiz effects,not even all.I thought that the problem would be my nvidia graphics card thats why i borrowed a high performance ATI card from a friend.My fps were exaclty the same.Firefox 3 is running very slow,tab switching is an issue too.Sites with java flash animations are running very slow,even scrolling down the page is making my life hard.Things are a little bit better without compiz but still i am not happy with the result.
    The last thing i haven't checked is my CPU which....i want to believe,is the problem.i 've installed kubuntu and kde enviroment is running even slower than gnome,i 've even tryed xubuntu which is supposed to be used for older systems...
    Can anyone tell me what the problem might be ?
    kind regards.

Beans

Re: unexpected slow performance

Quote Originally Posted by mechoulas View Post
    Hello,

i have an amd athlon 4000+ ,2100 MHz
    2GB RAM
    nvidia 9500GT 512mb ram and the last few days i 've installed an ATI HD2900 PRo 512 MB DDR 3 ram.

My ubuntu version is 8.10.
    I am experiecing slow performance while i am running linux.Especially when i am using some compiz effects,not even all.I thought that the problem would be my nvidia graphics card thats why i borrowed a high performance ATI card from a friend.My fps were exaclty the same.Firefox 3 is running very slow,tab switching is an issue too.Sites with java flash animations are running very slow,even scrolling down the page is making my life hard.Things are a little bit better without compiz but still i am not happy with the result.
    The last thing i haven't checked is my CPU which....i want to believe,is the problem.i 've installed kubuntu and kde enviroment is running even slower than gnome,i 've even tryed xubuntu which is supposed to be used for older systems...
    Can anyone tell me what the problem might be ?
    kind regards.

the problem was my cpu,i purchased an amd 3100Mhz and my OS runs smoothly