Thread: Advanced Audiophile Bitrate Question

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Advanced Audiophile Bitrate Question

Hi, if any audiophile can answer this question i'd be thrilled....

example: lets say i rip a track from a store-bought cd into 192kbps cbr mp3 (or any other bitrate/format i guess). now this mp3 file has discarded the information it decided was removable.

so then i burn that file to a cd, and it becomes a 1411kpbs .wav or cda file on the disc. obviously the full 1411 kb's arent there as the mp3 encoder discarded some information.

so if i re-rip that new cd i just made into 192kbps mp3 with the exact same encoder and exact same settings, what happens? does the encoder detect that information was already discarded, and since it was the same encoder, produce the same quality file as the first mp3? or does it assume that since it is a full cd quality .wav file (1411kpbs) remove even more information, and result in a less quality mp3 than the original?

i hope that makes sense, and of course this is just one example. i've been thinking about this like an ancient greek philosopher and its been bothering me

thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Advanced Audiophile Bitrate Question

It's just like using a photo copier, Make a copy from an original, then make a copy of the copy, then make a copy of that copy and so on. Eventually you are going to end up with a copy that is unreadable.

Every time you encode a music file as an mp3 you loose something.

If you are an audiophile you wouldn't be using mp3's any way, loseless formats are the way to go, if you care about the quality of the music you listen. My lowest limit for mp3's is 192kb encoding, I prefer 256kb for general listening when I'm doing something else as I don't really pay that much attetion to the sound quality.

Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Advanced Audiophile Bitrate Question

thanks for answering both of my posts within 5 minutes cariboo.

yea i too dislike lossy files, but with about 8000 songs on one ipod the apple lossless codec wouldnt fit everything so i stick with AAC 256, which sounds great. AAC in general is much better than mp3, though i'm not into the whole apple patent business. i need to get a better portable audio player, one that actually supports ogg vorbis - the ultimate lossy codec. gotta love open source.