Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can't ssh or use samba

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

can't ssh or use samba

The other day i realized that i cannot ssh into my computer or use my samba shares anymore. I don't know if it was after i updated or after i installed wine. I don't see how wine could affect it but it is the only thing i can think of. I know my samba shares are set up correctly b/c i was using them just fine until the other day when everything went crazy. The weird thing is that at the same time i could no longer ssh into my computer. I can ssh out w/o a problem and all my other internet apps work just fine.

I'm currently running Ubuntu 8.04. This is currently on my desktop which is a intel pentium duo 2.5Gh w/ 1gb ram. Hope someone can help.

Thanks
    Dave

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: can't ssh or use samba

Can you ssh localhost and your local IP address?

Can you open your local samba shares (i.e., the ones on the Ubuntu machine in question) over samba from the same machine?

Is there anything between your Ubuntu machine and the other machines from which you've tried to access it? Since you've made no changes on Ubuntu's end that should have affected this, I'm wondering if some proxy has started blocking the samba and ssh services.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I was able to ssh into my computer from the localhost. i.e. ssh localhost and everything worked well. I checked from another computer and that still doesn't work. I believe i'm using dolphen when i checked the smb shares of course smb:/// i even tried smb:///localhost just to check and that doesn't work. I also restarted my samba server just to be sure that it was up and running.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

forgot to mention that i cannot view any shares that are on other computers either. I have a server in the house that shares files. I know it's up and can ssh into it can read it's files from other computers just not this one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Just out of interest if you open nautails as super user does it work?

Code:
    sudo nautails

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

forgot to mention that i cannot view any shares that are on other computers either. I have a server in the house that shares files. I know it's up and can ssh into it can read it's files from other computers just not this one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It opened a window and this is what came up in the terminal

Initializing nautilus-share extension
    seahorse nautilus module initialized

** (nautilus:21421): WARNING **: Unable to add monitor: Operation not supported
    seahorse nautilus module shutdown

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

This still sounds strange. There's no proxy between between your Ubuntu machine and the other computers in your house, right?

You might also want to install Firestarter or Uncomplicated Firewall to make sure that iptables isn't blocking anything--it's possible that an application you installed starting blocks or ports or something without your realizing it. You can install these programs with:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install firestarter ufw
    They provide nice graphical frontends for monitoring your iptables policies. Is everything open?

Also, can you ssh into your local IP address? In other words, if your IP address is 192.168.1.2, does it work if you type:
    Code:
    ssh user@192.168.1.2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast