Thread: Well Pleased

Beans

Talking Well Pleased

I've switched my laptop over to Ubuntu 8.10 now and I'm very happy with the results. I ran a live CD off the front of a magazine, saw that I could connect to the wireless network and tried a dual boot windows install. It didn't quite work out, I'm not sure why but I had 0 bytes HD space available in ubuntu despite having plenty of disk space anyway. I thought screw it and got rid of windows altogether.
    Good call.
    Pretty much everything worked straight off. despite not being able to run windows aero, I can use all the features of compiz and my desktop is a lot smarter. It's got a crappy Intel GMA still and runs up to 25 desktops in a deformed cube without breaking sweat. it boots up in under 2 minutes and shuts down in under 1 minute.
    It's got 2gb of ram in it I've not seen it go over 30 percent usage yet.
    And It runs almost every program I need.
    I've got a couple of minor issues if anybody could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

It's one of these.

Sony Vaio VGN-N38Z/W Full Specification
    Processor
    Clock speed 1.66 GHz
    Processor type Core 2 Duo T5500
    Processor manufacturer Intel
    RAM
    RAM installed 2048 MB
    Max supported RAM 2 GB
    RAM technology DDR2
    Storage Hard Drive
    Hard drive type SATA 5400 rpm
    Hard drive size 160 GB
    Optical Storage
    CD / DVD type DVD±RW Super Multi Double Layer
    CD / DVD read speed CDx24, CD-Rx24, CD-RWx24, DVDx8, DVD-R DLx6, DVD-Rx8, DVD-RWx6, DVD+R DLx6, DVD+Rx8, DVD+RWx8, DVD-RAMx5
    CD / DVD write speed CD-Rx24, CD-RWx16, DVD-R DLx4, DVD-Rx8, DVD-RWx6, DVD+R DLx4, DVD+Rx8, DVD+RWx8 , DVD-RAMx5
    Interfaces / Networking
    USB 2
    Firewire 1
    PC Card 1
    Ethernet Yes
    Infrared No
    Bluetooth No
    Wireless networking Yes
    Modem No
    Video Output
    Graphics processor Intel GMA
    Video outputs VGA
    Display
    Display technology X-Black TFT
    Display diagonal size 15.4 in.
    Maximum resolution 1280x800 pixels
    Audio
    Soundcard Realtek High Definition Audio
    Audio inputs/outputs Headphone, microphone

When the laptop goes to sleep after being inactive for a while it is unable to reconnect to the wifi without a full power off and restart. It can see the network and attempts to connect but it just keeps aking for the key and dosn't work.
    It's no biggie as it's so quick to restart but still....

Umm it won't auto detect the headphones, I ve worked out how to get sound through just the headphones but I want it to just know when I've plugged them in.

Wicked software.

Jake

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Well Pleased

When it asks you for the key do you just click ok, accept or whatever or do you re type the key?

Beans

I just click OK, I guess I should try retyping it huh?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yep!
    If that doesn't work then I have no idea!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Sometimes, the default wifi handler in Ubu, Network Manager, throws up some issues. Although to be far it is much better these days than it used to be. As an alternative try out WICD and see if that helps.
    Keep Ubuntu free! Donate any amount you like – just use the PayPal donation address donations@ubuntu.com

Beans

I've had similar issues w/ my T60. I just disable sleep and if you want to suspend, use:
    Code:
    sudo ifdown wlan0
    or
    Code:
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 down
    or whatever is the name of your network interface. When you resume from suspend, use the same command but replace "down" with "up". I haven't had any problems w/ suspend since the latest kernel.