Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Google break it's motto?

Beans

Does Google break it's motto?

Google's motto of course is, "Don't be evil.". I noticed some people on this forum like to talk about google very passionately at times, so I decided to start this thread and see what the different perspectives are.

Is Google bad? If so, in what ways? What does it stand to harm in the forseeable future? Particularly, what are the privacy issues and what are the implications of said issues? If google isn't bad, how can the average Joe be assured of this?

What about that special cookie? (Google gives everyone a cookie that expires in 2038 and carries your very own unique identifier. If you don't believe me, just check for it or see http://www.imilly.com/google-cookie.htm for information.)

Beans

Re: Does Google break it's motto?

Beans

OMG google is the cookie m0n5ter!!!111!!!!111

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Google isn't a charitable organization. They have to make money somehow. There is nothing wrong with Google knowing how you use the site they let you use for free.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Hmmmm i used the GoogleAnon thing. It made me paranoid, so i thought what the hell! Google doesn't seem bad to me, and maybe what they do isn't for bad purposes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I have more important things to think about.. i cant waste my time with paranoid stuff..

Microsoft does worst things but i m sure you and most of people use it.. so if you think that way, just go to mars or kill youself.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

As was mentioned in another thread by poptones, Google is a multinational corporation and has to obey laws of different countries and some of those countries laws dictate that Google keep certain records and that it discloses those at the request of the government. Google itself is not evil but it has to make money and some of the ways for instance ad targetting through scanning your e-mail makes them able to give you the 2gig inbox.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

What zenwhen, sapo and prizrak said.

Plus, I don't really care for the Google cookie. They can track me all they want, because I know my surfings most likely end up as anonymous numbers among a huge pile of statistical data, and I have absolutely no problem with corporations collecting statistical data about their customers. I don't see any reason why anyone, who isn't a friend or family member, would actually be interested in my surfing habits personally. No matter how much I'd like to believe otherwise, I'm not really that important a person.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

i saw a fun page a while ago about loyalty card trading. loads of info is gathered if you use a loyality card at a supermarket or wherever. if you trade card occationally with people you can confuse the stats (and get send weird junk mail).

it cant be too hard to do cookie trading.

anyone want a go with
    ID=90944fc7313123d3:TM=1134228581:LM=1134228581:S= aDfD0FMvPrqgzHy0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

My browser is set to delete all cookies except those I tell it to keep every time I close the browser...so this isn't a big deal to me. Cookies are something anyone who want to opt out of can avoid.

Edit: @ssam... that's funny! I do something similar on a regular basis. I just didn't sign up for the loyalty card and every time I go to the grocery store I ask the person behind me if I can use theirs today. I haven't had anyone refuse yet. (I rarely go to the grocery store, my wife-who is a saint-does the shopping and she does have a loyalty card. It's not so much a philosophical thing with me, I just don't want one more thing to carry around.)
    Last edited by matthew; December 10th, 2005 at 06:46 PM.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast