Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SOLVED] What does "7am EST" mean?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: [SOLVED] What does "7am EST" mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Iowan View Post
    I guess no one noticed the (more time zones) link behind the "7am EST". It took me awhile to figure out what the discussion was about. Personally, it wouldn't bother me if time was in GMT. But if the server was in Australia, I wouldn't be surprised (or unhappy) if the maintenance times were posted in local time.
    I did notice the link to world times, but you have to know what EST means in order to convert it. EST is not on that page!
    Cheers, Mike

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Actually, you don't need to know what EST means as the link is to a table of the times already converted. Just look up your location and you can see what the time would be wherever you happen to reside.

I guess they could have used GMT, easy enough to convert from GMT to EST for those of us that live in the USA.

BTW, why is it ok to have stereotypical views of Americans? I guess I was unaware that all Americans had to be arrogant, that means I haven't been a good patriotic American!

I might have known it meant East USA, only they would expect everyone to know that time revolves around them.
    --Nathan
    "There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't"
    Registered Linux User #357088

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

(I'm compleetly joking here yet I feel the need to dawn my asbestos underwear to protect me from the flames)

I guess since you did know it meant eastern standard time my arrogance has paid off and was well placed?
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: What does "7am EST" mean?

Quote Originally Posted by AlexBellisBrown View Post
    Yes, im not to happy with americans foisting there time zone upon us all either, if Ubuntu is a *true* world OS, why cant the mods post with GMT timezone? That would be easy for everyone. Me +1, Australia +12, Yanks - 6/7/whatever... you have too many timezones.... geez.... xDDD
    From www.canonical.com, their about page. You know, Canonical - the fine folks that brought you this OS ...
    Founded in late 2004, Canonical Ltd is a company headquartered in Europe with over 200 employees working in 23 countries (and counting). Canonical is the commercial sponsor of Ubuntu project.
    Sorry mate, we Americans are not to blame this time
    Main system: Dell 1420n - C2D T5250, 4GB RAM, 120GB SATA. Ubuntu 8.04.3.
    Assorted VMs (via VBox). Favorites: Fedora, FreeBSD, Solaris.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hey mate, I live in the US ,and as such login for same place.

I saw that heading up there and thought nothing of it, except "Why isn't it in GMT time?" Never occured to me that everyone else was seeing the same thing.
    So please, don't blame the US on this one.

And to note, I looked at the link next to it, and instead of New York, they used Detroit.
    Registered Linux User # 414690
    Registered Ubuntu User # 24355

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by niteshifter View Post
    From www.canonical.com, their about page. You know, Canonical - the fine folks that brought you this OS ...

Sorry mate, we Americans are not to blame this time
    No worries. Sorry about that, no offence was intended to anyone. We have an EST too so it's a bit confusing.
    Cheers, Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12