Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sound buttons don't work after 8.10 upgrade

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Sound buttons don't work after 8.10 upgrade

I have a serval performance, and recently upgraded from 8.04 to 8.10. I noticed that my quick-buttons on the laptop for mute and volume up/down no longer work. I get the gnome popup, showing sound up/down, and mute/unmute, but that isn't tied into the actual sound anymore.

I checked System > Preferences > Keyboard shortcuts, and they are still set for XF86AudioMute, etc. (screenshot attached)

I have installed / setup compiz, but I didn't see any sound features associated with that. I don't have a .Xmodmap being loaded, either.

And yes, I moved from XFCE to regl'r gnome. I like the scale effect with compiz.

Is there somewhere else I should check for what the XF86* shortcuts are hooked in to?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Sound buttons don't work after 8.10 upgrade

There have been a lot of hosed keymappings with the upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10. Some folks have managed to fix this by going to System > Prefs > Keyboard > Layout and, in the bottom listbox, changing their keyboard type to EvDev-Managed Keyboard.

It doesn't make a whole lot of since to me, but you might want to try it out.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

i thought that buying a laptop from system 76 would save you from those problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

*sigh*
    Last edited by thomasaaron; December 19th, 2008 at 11:56 PM.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by thomasaaron View Post
    There have been a lot of hosed keymappings with the upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10. Some folks have managed to fix this by going to System > Prefs > Keyboard > Layout and, in the bottom listbox, changing their keyboard type to EvDev-Managed Keyboard.

It doesn't make a whole lot of since to me, but you might want to try it out.
    I just tried that (screenshot attached) but that didn't take. I also tried logging out and in, but that didn't kick it correct.

As I messed with the keyboard shortcuts, I noticed that the web browser button is now XF86HomePage, rather than XF86WWW. I have no idea where this is set, but maybe it's part of the problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Did you try running the system76 last driver? Probably it works.
    System76 Pangolin Performance (panp4n)
    Intel Core 2 Duo P9500 - 4GB RAM - HDD 320 GB @ 7200 RPM - nVidia GeForce 9300M GS
    OS: Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit / Kernel Linux 2.6.28-11-generic / GNOME 2.26.1

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Guille Damke View Post
    Did you try running the system76 last driver? Probably it works.
    No, I hadn't done that yet. I was running 2.2.7, and from looking at the repository I saw that 2.2.9 was available. I installed that, rebooted, but the sounds keys still don't work, unfortunately.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Andrewdied,

Did you try going to System > Prefs > Keyboard Shortcuts, and assigning the Vol up and Vol down to those buttons? (I re-read the thread, but I'm not quite clear on if you tried that.)

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by thomasaaron View Post
    Did you try going to System > Prefs > Keyboard Shortcuts, and assigning the Vol up and Vol down to those buttons? (I re-read the thread, but I'm not quite clear on if you tried that.)
    Yup, I did try that. I went in and reset them in case I hadn't kicked hard enough there before, but am getting the same result.

One oddity is that in the animation gnome gives you, I'm either at zero, middle, or full on volume. I'm pretty sure that before the 8.04 to 8.10 upgrade I had more gradients.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm not sure what's going on. I'm traveling at the moment and don't have your computer model to test with.

One last thing to try... If that doesn't work, you can either do a clean install or please bump this thread next Monday, and I'll do a more thorough investigation.

Go to System > Prefs > Sound, and make sure all the pull-downs are set to Pulse Audio.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast