Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard Drive installation?

Beans

Hard Drive installation?

I have a laptop that is missing it's floppy drive and it's CD drive. I don't think I can boot the system to a USB Flash Drive.

Is there a way I can take the hard drive, make it bootable (from XP), copy an Ubuntu image to the drive and install it from there?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Hard Drive installation?

If you have another system you can install the drive in, just put it in that system and install Ubuntu on it there, then move it back to the laptop it belongs in. Make sure it is the only drive in the system when it is being installed to, and make sure grub is installed to the mbr.

When you put it in the laptop, it will work. You may need to do some work to get wireless working, but you should be just fine otherwise...
    Ubuntu User #19733/Linux User #449481

Beans

You can use unetbootin to install ubuntu which does not require the use of a cdrom or usb
    Ubuntu Newbie Help: irc: #beginners-help on network irc.freenode.net
    Help others, mark your threads solved.

Beans

Those are both really good ideas that I hadn't thought of...thanks guys..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfinger View Post
    I have a laptop that is missing it's floppy drive and it's CD drive. I don't think I can boot the system to a USB Flash Drive.

Is there a way I can take the hard drive, make it bootable (from XP), copy an Ubuntu image to the drive and install it from there?
    There is a small program to make a bootable flash drive from a distro. Your computer must be capable of booting from it.

The program is unetbootin-linux-281. It came from a dvd on Linux Format Magazie. It's about 4M in size. It worked good for me.

To boot from a flash drive, you must have the capability built into bios. It can be a bit tricky getting some going, and every one has been different that I've tried.

It's available at this website. Good luck

Gord

Beans

There is a small program to make a bootable flash drive from a distro. Your computer must be capable of booting from it.

The program is unetbootin-linux-281. It came from a dvd on Linux Format Magazie. It's about 4M in size. It worked good for me.

To boot from a flash drive, you must have the capability built into bios. It can be a bit tricky getting some going, and every one has been different that I've tried.

It's available at this website. Good luck

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Gord

Beans

Quick update...

UNBootin doesn't seem to do what I need. It wants to make the hard drive in this (Windows) PC bootable to an Ubuntu installer, so that it can download and install Ubuntu. Great idea...but not what I need.

I need to be able to network boot my laptop (a totally different machine) so I can do the install that way.

(Side note: To add complexity to this problem, I first need to boot it into some sort of OS where I can flash the BIOS... THEN I can do the Ubuntu install)

Im off to do more reading...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

UNBootin doesn't seem to do what I need. It wants to make the hard drive in this (Windows) PC bootable to an Ubuntu installer, so that it can download and install Ubuntu.
    Look again at the instructions...Select 'Disk Image' radio button (not 'Distribution') and then point it to the .iso (which you copied to the disk).

Select type at bottom (usb or hard drive) and the drive letter

Reboot and go into the bios and set the usb drive or hard disk first in the boot order.

It will then reboot to that drive and begin installing

Beans

No joy in that scenerio either...

I set UNetBootin to look like this...

The laptop drive is connected with a USB-to-ATA cable...

When done, I remove the the drive, insert it into the laptop and I still get "Remove disks or other media. Press any key to restart"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I wonder if usb-pata converter is causing any problem...

here'w what I'd do next:

Burn a live cd from the iso (you do have a cd burner on the windows machine?)*

Then try what was suggested above and plug the lappy drive back into your windows machine--in place of the main drive. Then boot the live cd and install to the laptop drive.

*Or if you can't burn a CD try this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...on/FromWindows
    (-->'CD image approach')

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast