Thread: ATI Driver help! plz...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

ATI Driver help! plz...

I've just recently purchased ET: Quake Wars and I have been playing it for a bit, but I have some performance issues...I know my card can more than handle the game (I have an ATI Radeon HD 4670), but I have to run it on low, with a bunch of hickups. My question is if I should keep using the default ATI drivers that you use, or should I get the ATI drivers that ATI have created? Would it help? Since I am new, should I take the risk?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: ATI Driver help! plz...

ATI is notorious for not having the best Linux support. However, you are not running any risk by installing the newest ATI provided drivers if you do it correctly. In fact, I encourage installing the ATI-provided drivers, as they will provide you with much better 3-D capabilities than the restricted drivers can, as I've seen first hand when my brother installed the ATI-provided drivers.

First, uninstall your restricted ATI driver by opening the terminal:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove xorg-driver-fglrx
    Then, go to the ATI site and DL the latest drivers. Download the latest .run file for your card. After DLing, in terminal, change to the directory where the freshly downloaded .run file resides, usually the desktop. Then, just simply execute.

Code:
    ./ati-driver-installer-whatever-version-you're-installing.run
    I don't remember if you need a "sudo" before that, but if you do, it will tell you. Then, to configure X, type in the terminal:

Code:
    sudo aticonfig -initial
    Then, just restart X. I hope that helps.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: ATI Driver help! plz...

there might be a command missing:
    Code:
    sudo chmod +x ./ati-driver-installer-whatever-version-you're-installing.run
    ./ati-driver-installer-whatever-version-you're-installing.run
    dont' be afraid of ATI original drivers ... they are good. visit that site from time to time to get newest version. AtiCatalystCenter is very nice.
    Last edited by zika; December 19th, 2008 at 03:58 PM.