Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dpkg : status database area is locked by another process while trying to install oper

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

dpkg : status database area is locked by another process while trying to install oper

I had downloaded the opera web browser .deb file form their website, because it wasnt in synaptic. I tried to install it in terminal, and I get this: dpkg : status database area is locked by another process
    Its really annoying, because it does that with every package I try to install. Apt-get isnt running. Nothing like that is. I need all you smart Ubuntu people to help TT_TT

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: dpkg : status database area is locked by another process while trying to install

That's odd. Try logging out, logging back in, and then installing the .deb file.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: dpkg : status database area is locked by another process while trying to install

Just did. Got me nowhere.

dpkg: status database area is locked by another process

I dont understand why its not letting me......

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Paste the output of this please:

Code:
    ps ax | grep dpkg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Okay, nevermind. Got it fixed now ^^. Thanks for the idea, I resarted and fixed some broeken things.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Same problem, different cause.

Terminal was installing the linux mint deb packages but taking MUCH too long so I closed terminal.

ps ax | grep dpkg gives me the following:

4554 ? D 0:00 dpkg -i mint-common_1.0.5_all.deb mintmenu_4.9.9_all.deb mint-translations_2010.02.02_all.deb
    4888 pts/1 S+ 0:00 grep --color=auto dpkg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have to say, I am getting this exact same problem recently! Has some update screwed around with settigns or something?

Please help us fix this!
    Windows: Where do you want to go today?
    MacOS: Where do you want to be tomorrow?
    Linux: Are you coming or what?!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Problem solved:

All it took was a simple restart.
    After restarting, the lock disappeared, then I was able to remove the package that caused the lock and try installing it again (which worked the second time around).

Though the solution was simple, it's still annoying to have to restart to kill the lock.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You could also run:
    Code:
    sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock
    Then:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a

Beans

@ agibby5 - Great! your solution worked like a charm Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast