Page 77 of 86 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing on the Dell Mini 12

Beans

Re: Installing on the Dell Mini 12

Thanks for your help provided in this thread. I have the drivers installed and glxgears shows ~250 frames per second.

I'd like to play some video to exercise the driver. I have installed vlc and played some of the video from this site:

http://www.h264info.com/clips.html

but it is choppy at best.

Any suggestions on a player to exercise the offloading features the driver enables?

Thanks...

Beans

module options

I have been following this thread for a long time. I have a mini 12 and look forward to upgrading from the default hardy install that came from dell. I need to use this machine and so I can't have it down with freezes and the like. I have never had a freeze with the dell version of hardy. I was looking around and noticed that dell passes a few options to the psb driver. The options-belmont file has the lines...

Code:
    options xc5000 init_fw=1
    options psb disable_vsync=1 no_fb=1
    I haven't seen it mentioned in the thread if anyone has tried it with jaunty and the 3d drivers to possibly address any freezing issues.

Chad

Beans

Re: module options

Quote Originally Posted by csimpkin View Post
    Code:
    options xc5000 init_fw=1
    options psb disable_vsync=1 no_fb=1
    xc5000 is for the tv tuner dell sells, I think.

disable vsync would make sense. I have to set vsync to 0 to get boxee to work right.

no_fb sets FBDev to off, I'm not sure if this would cause freezing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fitzkarraldo View Post
    Have you removed both xpsb-glx and psb-firmware packages?
    Hi fitzk!

No, I'd forgot about them- thanks for the reminder/tip! Now that I've uninstalled them all seems well again- I've had my netbook on all day- just flipping the lid down when not using it- and it hasn't froze since I removed those two packages and poulsbo 3D. Note that I'm running fluxbox under Jaunty.

Got to try sammyboys' xorg.conf that PreviousN posted next, see if that gives me stable 3D- at least we seem to have a stable 2D config to fall back on now (for the mo at least - jinx?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tbrooks2828 View Post
    :

http://www.h264info.com/clips.html

but it is choppy at best.

Any suggestions on a player to exercise the offloading features the driver enables?

Thanks...
    This is a codec issue. "Dellbuntu" hardy belmont for mini 12 comes with h.264 fluendo codec and these movies run flawlessly. Fluendo sells the codec in a comprehensive codec pack and there is always medibuntu.

Beans

PreviousN's xorg.conf does indeed seem to have resolved the stability issues with using the latest pouslbo 3D driver- for me on my mini10 at least- big thanks previousN (and sammyboy)! It might be as good idea for someone to inform the packagers of the driver so that they can maybe automate the setup of xorg.conf at install time?

I can shut the lid and re-open it- no issues with backlight not coming back on and both resume and hibernate work great too- all with 3D enabled. If anyone is having probs with power functions etc. then maybe its GNOME (and/or compiz) thats causing the prob? Any (moderately) experienced Linux users should be using a more lightweight window manager such as fluxbox or icewm anyway as ditching GNOME/KDE will gain you a fair wodge of extra memory and greatly improve performance for running resource intensive apps- I can't use the phasex synth on my netbook under GNOME but it runs fine under fluxbox, for example.

I highly recommend pcmanfm as a great lightweight alternative to Nautilus and Konq- the only thing I miss when using pcmanfm instead of Nautilus is video thumbnails. XFCE is slowly becoming as bloated as GNOME and I find lxde still to be buggy and missing a few essential features but I'll be sure to keep tabs on lxdes progress as it is a promising project.
    Last edited by danboid; August 1st, 2009 at 04:57 PM.

Beans

+1 on PreviousN's xorg, it solved my freezing on my mini 12 with jaunty

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PreviousN View Post
    I am no longer getting freezes, following sammyboy405's advice from this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1213416
    This works for me too, thanks a lot!
    Last edited by fitzkarraldo; August 4th, 2009 at 08:37 AM.

Beans

freezing problem seems to be solved also for me, thanks but:
    i also have the probem after the suspend: black screen.

Beans

The solution works very well.... Though glxgears gives a lesser fps (it used to give about 250 before, and now is about 120), my performance seems to have improved a great deal. Web page scrolling, general text editing seems a lot more smooth now. I also had issues with kate not refreshing the text display. Even that is solved now. No freezes too. Thanks a lot...

EDIT: I don't have the issues with suspending which others are facing. I can resume normally after a suspend or a hibernation.
    Last edited by puttux; August 4th, 2009 at 02:06 PM.
    Vaivaswatha N
    Mysore, India

Page 77 of 86 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879 ... LastLast