Page 37 of 86 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing on the Dell Mini 12

Beans

Re: Installing on the Dell Mini 12

In my opinion, Belmont is the best option (once you remove the cruft they put in there like the yahoo toolbar and dell launcher). However, it contains some nonfree codec packages, so it's not publicly available.

Beans

Let's say I have a belmont .img file. Is there a way for me to turn it into a bootable flash drive? Can I somehow do this on my Mac? In other words, can I use my Mac to turn the img file into a bootable usb flash drive that I could then use on my Mini 12?

If that won't work, I guess I'd have to buy an external optical drive. How would I turn the img file into a bootable DVD (preferably, using my Mac, but if not, then using XP on the mini 12)?

Beans

There are some instructions on converting CD images to USB here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...ual%20Approach

If you have an optical drive you can just burn the image onto a DVD in the usual way. If the file really does have a .img extension it may need to be renamed to .iso.

Although, the fact that you say it is .img makes me think you may have the filesystem image contained within the CD, not the installer CD itself. If that's the case, you would have to do a completely manual install, which is way too many steps for me to go into here.

Beans

I am pretty new to ubuntu and i just installed unr and i am trying to get these psb drivers to work. I followed post 94 and when i went into software sources i got the "W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net hardy Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 99D6B21CC6598A30" error that another user previously noted. It is not clear for me (and of course my limited experience) how to bypass this. A few pages later user kdubya posted the drivers and i have downloaded them but i do not know what to do with them. Can someone tell me in some detail how to install them and what should i do after i install them? Thanks!
    Last edited by battlebotscott; March 25th, 2009 at 05:31 PM.

Beans

It's just a warning. You can ignore that message.

Beans

Hi kylecronan,

Are we supposed to get major UNR update that includs new graphic driver during March? It's almost April....

Beans

teatimest, I sure hope so. Now might be a good time to ask for an update by posting a question to the netbook-remix project at answers.launchpad.net.

Beans
    Hidden!

Boy this is a lenghty thread for something one would have thought to work out of the box!

I read most of this thread, but a lot of things I admit flew straight over my head. But I settled with the post 94 option.

I installed UNR 8.04 and did the tweaks to get 3d working, but something seems to be wrong. glxinfo | grep direct gives me the following

Code:
    ERROR!  sizeof(PsbDRIRec) does not match passed size from device driver
    libGL warning: 3D driver returned no fbconfigs.
    libGL error: InitDriver failed
    libGL error: reverting to (slow) indirect rendering
    direct rendering: No (If you want to find out why, try setting LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose)
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
    What should I do?

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep Xpsb gives me this, so am assuming it worked but its falling back to indirect rendering
    Code:
    (II) PSB(0): Debug: psbPreinitXpsb
    (II) Loading sub module "Xpsb"
    (II) LoadModule: "Xpsb"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//Xpsb.so
    (II) Module Xpsb: vendor="Tungsten Graphics Inc."
    Xpsb - 2.2.0.32L.0020
    (II) PSB(0): [Xpsb] Started kernel request thread.
    (II) PSB(0): Xpsb extension for 3D engine acceleration enabled.
    Also the mic does not seem to work??
    Last edited by rami; March 29th, 2009 at 10:44 PM.

Beans

I'm also trying to follow the instructions on post #94 (I couldn't figure out how to install the belmont image, whereas the UNR 8.0.4 image installed easily).

So... I'm following post #94, but I'm stuck here:
    Unfortunately, the UNR doesn't come with an up-to-date Xorg driver. For that, I added the ubuntu-mobile PPA to my /etc/apt/sources.list:

Code:
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mobile/ubuntu hardy main
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mobile/ubuntu hardy main
    I'm assuming that means to open the file in a text editor and add the code to the end. I did that, but couldn't save the file because it says I lack the proper permissions. That's odd, since I installed the OS and I'm the only user.

Now what?
    Last edited by 2oh1; March 29th, 2009 at 10:21 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

@2oh1

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    It will ask for your password type it in and hit enter

Page 37 of 86 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast