Page 36 of 86 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing on the Dell Mini 12

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Installing on the Dell Mini 12

Yeah i am also very interested in the jaunty thing. Have you checked for the poulsbo drivers? are they included?

Beans

Unhappy Re: Installing on the Dell Mini 12

I have been watching this thread for a while, as my initial enthusiasm about a Linux pre-installed Dell laptop quickly faded away. I was deeply disappointed by the quality of the Hardy install, in particular with the display driver. I guess its been stated many times that the Poulsbo drivers are not really anywhere near as good as the other true open-source drivers Intel produces, and it shows. Ever since I bought it in December, it has been exhibiting random X restarts, sometimes hard freezes, and sometime, on a smaller scale, firefox crashes. Has anyone here seen these happening to their 1210? Even scrolling the page faster is causing firefox to crash, and sometimes it takes down entire X with it. As you can imagine, this is not really usable by any definition. I don't know if I can return it, but if I could, I would.

I sincerely pray Ubuntu/Dell/Intel comes up with a solution in Jaunty, particularly with the display drivers. If anyone has any experience with the Jaunty UNR and the above-mentioned annoyances, please feel free to share. I'm desperate for some help/positive news.

Thanks and I hope you forgive the rant.

-J

Beans

I'm getting my Mini 12 Blue Ice finally delivered on Tuesday after a month and a half of waiting!!!!

Beans

Some work has been done on the kernel side at least:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NzE1Mw

"We know this sucks, we're working on it but thats all I can really say." Gee, thanks a lot, Intel.

If I have some time I might try out those rejected patches to see if the xorg crashes are still there.

Beans

I bought a refurbished mini 12 that came with XP. I desperately want to get ubuntu working on it, even if it's just Dell's funky version.

How do I do this?!?

The instructions I've seen in this thread are over my head since I've never used Ubuntu before, aside from checking it out with a Live CD on my Mac.

NOTE! I need the ability to chose a different screen resolution. I'll be happiest with 800x600. Everything on 1200x800 is just too small for my vision. 800 X 600 would be best, but 1024 X 768 might work. I realize changing screen resolutions is no big deal, but I also have read that there are video issues with Ubuntu and Paulsbo? I'm not entirely clear as to what that means, in practice, for a netbook. Really, I just want to be able to do basic stuff with my Mini 12. Surf the web, take notes, email. That sort of thing.

Like I said, my experience with Ubuntu is limited, and I have no experience with XP. I point this out because, even though I'm technically savvy, I'm clueless here and will need to be talked through it step by step

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JinnJin View Post
    Just installed UNR Jaunty Daily Image which seems released yesterday.

everything seems fine.

JinnJin,
    more details please?

Beans

@2oh1, post #94 is still the best way to go. The files referenced in that post are available as attachments, which you can find in the preceding pages. Try to follow brteag's instructions and post here if you run into any problems. The one caveat is that the UNR installer will wipe your whole disk. If you want to keep Windows and dual boot, the process is more complicated.

@fitzkarraldo, I'm fairly certain that the difference with Jaunty is that they have fixed the install process so that you don't have to do anything special to get a working system. If you install Jaunty you will not have the correct screen resolution, and accelerated video will not be possible (well, it is possible to get the Poulsbo drivers working with more recent kernels and newer versions of xorg, but trust me, it's not worth the trouble).

Beans

post #94 is still the best way to go. The files referenced in that post are available as attachments, which you can find in the preceding pages. Try to follow brteag's instructions and post here if you run into any problems. The one caveat is that the UNR installer will wipe your whole disk. If you want to keep Windows and dual boot, the process is more complicated.
    Three questions:

#1 - I'm ok with wiping out my HD and starting from scratch so long as there is a way for me to revert back to XP if I need to. My mini 12 came with restoration CDs. Will I be able to turn those CDs into usable disk images on my Mac so I can then use them on my mini 12 via usb flash cards? I'm assuming XP would have to be bootable. I really don't want to buy a USB CD/DVD drive if I don't have to.

#2 - What is Compiz? Post #94 doesn't mention it, but following posts say that Compiz doesn't work.

#3 - Is there anything else that doesn't work, after doing an ubuntu install by following the post #94? I'd hate to do all of that work only to find out that I can't change the screen resolution, or the touchpad doesn't work... something like that.

Thanks for your help & info!

Beans

#1 - I've had some luck converting CD images to USB flash, but it can be rather complicated. But you could always buy a USB cdrom at your local store and take it back later. Just say it didn't work.

#2 - Compiz is the window manager that gives you all the fancy visual effects that so many people love to show off in cafes. Not a big deal.

#3 - You will be able to change the screen resolution to 800x600 at least. Although this is the wrong aspect ratio (just by a little bit). The only thing I can think of that you will be missing is the hardware-accelerated video playback that comes installed with Dell's version of Ubuntu called Belmont. That means that you might get jerky playback with really large or highly compressed video files.

Beans

Am I better off trying to find Dell's "Belmont" version?

Page 36 of 86 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast