Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: [SOLVED] Huawei e169 USB modem - Virgin Broadband - Australia [solved]

OMG this works!! (OP)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jazzguyman View Post
    Thanks guys for all of this helpful info!!! It worked for me as a result, but below I have outlined how a newbie, like me, could do it. It worked for me on a few machines anyhow. Much appreciated all of the info you supplied, though! I needed it.

(Thanks to Grant Petch for helping to figure this out!!)

First off, this worked with Ubuntu Linux versions 8.10 and 9.04. This may or may not work in previous versions, but please let us know if this works under any other versions or distributions of Linux.
    Secondly, the model number that this solution worked for is the "Huawei E169".

So, with your Ubuntu 8.10 or 9.04 system booted up and ready, plug in the USB device.
    Wait.
    Follow the prompts for a couple of screens and then when you come to the Name of the device, RENAME IT to "VirginBroadband" (all one word and note the capital letters).
    Then apply that change by clicking OK. Then hit the close buttons of the open windows.

Now, go to your network icon at the top of the Ubuntu desktop, which is an icon of two computers. Left-click that once and then select 'VPN' and then select 'Configure VPN'.
    Then click on the 'Mobile Broadband' tab. Highlight the Virgin Broadband option and then click 'Edit'. If you are asked about whether to accept a keyring, click 'Allow' or 'Accept All'.
    Under the 'Mobile Broadband' tab, rename the APN to "VirginBroadband", which is exactly the same as the name we first gave the device.

Now, click on the 'PPP Settings' tab. Click 'Configure Methods' button and then UNCHECK the 'CHAP' check-box. Click 'Apply' and then close all of the windows down.

Now, left-click on the networks icon again and now click on 'VirginBroadband'... wait a bit... and now, it should be working.

Open Mozilla Firefox or whatever internet browser you use, and test it out by going to 'Baysidechurch.org.au'... or any other web-page of choice.

NOW, I found a difference when using Ubuntu 8.10, whereby it actually asked for a password to access the internet. I went and found a solution to this problem too! Here it is:

Double-click the 'VIRGIN BROADBAND' icon on desktop to open it.
    You will then see a file called 'SysConfig.dat'. Double-click this to open it.
    You will be asked the question, "Do you want to run 'SysConfig.dat', or display its contents?" to which you should click on 'Display'.

There will be a list of paragraphs with headings in square brackets. Find the paragraph with "[customize]" as the heading and then notice the first line following that reads "operator=VirginMobile_C261", or something like that.
    THIS is your password! Well, not with the operator bit, the password is actually "VirginMobile_C261", at least it was for me. Yours might be different.
    So, either write that down, or copy it by clicking Ctrl+C on your keyboard and then PASTE (or type) that password into the space provided when prompted for the password again.
    A smart thing to do would be to create a quick text document using Text Editor and then paste this password into there. Save this text file to your desktop as something like "Virgin Broadband password".

There you have it! You should be able to open your internet browser now and surf the three w's.

Hoping for the best,

jazzguyman.

This solution does not work for me..

1. Virgin Broadband does not display on my desktop

2. I tried everything in this solution, all I get is GSM not available

3. I even installed Ubuntu 9.04 but that seemed like a waste of my time.

4. I'm a newbie of 4 years trying to connect to the internet with Virgin Mobile.

I need my internet to do anything at all with Linux. frustration is persistant

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Re: [SOLVED] Huawei e169 USB modem - Virgin Broadband - Australia [solved]

Hi,

Has anyone tried to install the e169 or e1762 Huawei USB modem with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS version?

I tried the previously listed methods... and as a windows convert.. 10.04 does not look the same as previous postings..

I'm really keen to cut over and use Ubuntu as my full time OS, just need a little help to get everything set up n working in order to do so..

any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Anthony.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This is an old thread. Try the advice in the General Help sticky for 10.04 lucid.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by annefernee View Post
    Hi,

Has anyone tried to install the e169 or e1762 Huawei USB modem with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS version?

I tried the previously listed methods... and as a windows convert.. 10.04 does not look the same as previous postings..

I'm really keen to cut over and use Ubuntu as my full time OS, just need a little help to get everything set up n working in order to do so..

any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Anthony.
    I will be soon. Maybe this weekend. I'll find the new thread & post my findings. I suspect being more modern, it will be easier.

Beans

The suggestions made by the OP worked perfectly for me for Ubuntu 9.10.

With Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10 however, it's not working, and I've tried fiddling with a few more things, to no avail. It looks like it's trying (green light on the dongle keeps flashing on and off), but never connects.

Any suggestions? Or is there another thread I should be posting this to? (I searched but couldn't find any more appropriate ones).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123