Thread: [SOLVED] Whoops.

Hybrid View

Beans

[SOLVED] Whoops.

Stupid Mac and it's automatic-apply. Once on my Mac side, I accidentally clicked on Startup Disk when I was aiming for something else in preferences, and because I used my Windows side to launch the Live Ubuntu Preview, and installed Ubuntu over my Windows side, wiping it; instead of Boot Camp, Mac recognizes my Ubuntu partition, yet it's grayed out on Disk Utility and when I click Mount, literally nothing happens. And that specific partition is not an option under Startup Disk.

Of course I can still get into Ubuntu by holding down Alt, but I reeeeeeealy hate having to press Alt at the PERFECT time every time I start up. I was digging around through my Mac system files and Google, looking for a way to force my computer to automatically boot into sda4 (my Ubuntu partition), and ended up learning a lot about the famous BootX file. I have no idea how I'd acces or edit it, nor do I know if it would fix my problem.

But anyway, I need some help with this. How do I FORCE Mac to boot into a hidden partition???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Whoops.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadeyrn View Post
    Stupid Mac and it's automatic-apply. Once on my Mac side, I accidentally clicked on Startup Disk when I was aiming for something else in preferences, and because I used my Windows side to launch the Live Ubuntu Preview, and installed Ubuntu over my Windows side, wiping it; instead of Boot Camp, Mac recognizes my Ubuntu partition, yet it's grayed out on Disk Utility and when I click Mount, literally nothing happens. And that specific partition is not an option under Startup Disk.
    sounds all normal to me.

There are no drivers for the linux filesystem for osx, thus it is greyed out and inaccessible from OSX.

You should never use the Startup Disk utility to select Linux to boot anyway as there is no equivalent tool in Ubuntu to change it back to OSX later.

Of course I can still get into Ubuntu by holding down Alt, but I reeeeeeealy hate having to press Alt at the PERFECT time every time I start up. I was digging around through my Mac system files and Google, looking for a way to force my computer to automatically boot into sda4 (my Ubuntu partition), and ended up learning a lot about the famous BootX file. I have no idea how I'd acces or edit it, nor do I know if it would fix my problem.

But anyway, I need some help with this. How do I FORCE Mac to boot into a hidden partition???
    BootX is for PowerPC Macs. If you have an Intel Mac, what you want is rEFIt.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    You should never use the Startup Disk utility to select Linux to boot anyway as there is no equivalent tool in Ubuntu to change it back to OSX later.
    Well, I can always hold down ALT when the computer is starting up, click on my Mac partition, and use Startup Disk to set Mac to the default again.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    BootX is for PowerPC Macs. If you have an Intel Mac, what you want is rEFIt.
    Where is that? I'm looking around for it now, but it's hard to find.

EDIT: Hey! I was poking around my hidden files that can only been seen from Linux and I found an exact copy of Ubuntu's / directory (AKA file:///) under Mac's /private/tftpboot/private/tftpboot

EDIT2: I just checked out my system bin files (/sbin) and found a mount file for every file system Mac is compatible with. All I'd have to do is find one on the internet for ext3, right?
    Last edited by Cadeyrn; December 17th, 2008 at 01:59 AM.

Beans

Alright, I found a way to mount ext3 systems on a Mac with no risk, no problem, but they're speaking in Mac/Linux console language. I used to be a total Windows person and am a complete newbie at Mac/Linux console stuff. Someone translate???

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=34227

Beans

BUMP.

I'm impatient.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Where is that? I'm looking around for it now, but it's hard to find.
    Well, when I google "refit" the first result is a link to the page for the software, so I don't know how you could have missed it.

Alright, I found a way to mount ext3 systems on a Mac with no risk, no problem, but they're speaking in Mac/Linux console language. I used to be a total Windows person and am a complete newbie at Mac/Linux console stuff. Someone translate???

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=34227
    Ignore that. Basically they are using a very old, out-of-date driver that was being worked on at one time. it is not very reliable if you can even get it to work at all. You can download it and try it if you like:
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=64713

I'd start with the 1.3 version as it has been reported by many that the 1.4 version doesn't work at all anymore. It should add an icon to system preferences that you can use to mount your Linux partition (if it works).