Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do you think my truck is worth...?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: What do you think my truck is worth...?

Certainly sounds as if you may have one heck of a lawsuit. However, as I indicated suing someone that doesn't have any assets or is financially insolvent may not accomplish anything. Collections will undoubtedly cost and often times they only recover a portion and of course theres always bankruptcy to keep in mind.

As I suggested if the individual is financially solvent, then I would definitely seek an attorney. When considering additional financial losses and inconveniences, the actual total recover may be significantly greater than your considering at present.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Tamlynmac View Post
    Certainly sounds as if you may have one heck of a lawsuit. However, as I indicated suing someone that doesn't have any assets or is financially insolvent may not accomplish anything. Collections will undoubtedly cost and often times they only recover a portion and of course theres always bankruptcy to keep in mind.

As I suggested if the individual is financially solvent, then I would definitely seek an attorney. When considering additional financial losses and inconveniences, the actual total recover may be significantly greater than your considering at present.
    yeah , i have spoken with a police officer here , he seemed to think that if i did sue that i should ask for a flat 5000 dollars and that i'd probably recieve a judgement for as much....

but that collecting on that judgement might be a differant story - if the guy didn't have it to give....
    Ubuntu 10.10 user..
    Registered Linux user #419240.
    "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect." -- Linus Torvalds.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

One last thought, you may wish to contact the local district attorney's office and ask why a citation wasn't issued. I am assuming Texas requires insurance or some sort of bond.

You may also wish to notify your state attorney generals office and file a complaint.

Make sure you document everything, including:
    1. Conversations and any offers made to date
    2. Actual damage cost (not just vehicle)
    3. Names, dates, and times - especially conversations with local and state personnel
    4. etc.

As I indicated - I'm not an attorney. But have been involved in a couple situations similar to yours and didn't find them pleasant either.

Beans

are you looking at a car that has previously been in an accident?

i was looking for a new, but used, car this summer and would not even test drive anything that came up as being in an accident on carreports dot com or whatever the site is...
    Your Ubuntu User number is # 15355

A must Read for anyone interested in Computer Programming.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123