Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] reducing photos for email transmission

Beans

[SOLVED] reducing photos for email transmission

I have Gimp downloaded but don't know what to do to make it work when emailing a photo. What do I need to do to make it work - or do I need another program?

A minor matter - I wanted to indicate following a previous question which was well answered that the solution worked and the the thread was finished and to say thank you - which I understand is the normal courtesy - but I did not know how to! As you can see I am not at all computer literate so please assume nothing in offering your solutions!

Thanks

Guy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: reducing photos for email transmission

Do you want to make the file smaller in screen dimensions or in file size? Then i'll tell you how to do either.
    "What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by gracefaith View Post
    I have Gimp downloaded but don't know what to do to make it work when emailing a photo.
    after you've opened a photo, in the toolbar go to Image, then scale image. change the dropdown from pixels to percent. now if you put 25% it will reduce the image to 25% its original size. makes it easier to email.

Quote Originally Posted by gracefaith
    A minor matter - I wanted to indicate following a previous question which was well answered that the solution worked and the the thread was finished and to say thank you - which I understand is the normal courtesy
    you can mark your thread solved by using the Thread Tools at the top of your post and to thank someone click the "Thanks" icon on the bottom right corner of the post.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I think there is a right click option , called "nautilus -resize" or something like that for Ubuntu..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I find that with modern digital cameras reducing pixel count gives better image quality than aggressive jpeg compression for a given file size.

Using Gimp, this is done with "image"-"scale image"
    Don't forget to save to a new file name

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I use gthumb. I open the photo and then goto the image menu and choose resize. Then I just insert or attach it to the email.
    CyberPower Gamer Ultra 7209 | AMD Athlon II X2 240 | 6 GB RAM | 1000GB & 500GB SATA-II HD
    ATI Radeon HD4550 | HP 2430 Printer | Ubuntu 11.04 | Windows 7 | ViewSonic VA703b Monitor

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Shhnap View Post
    Do you want to make the file smaller in screen dimensions or in file size? Then i'll tell you how to do either.
    It's the file size I want to reduce more than the actual photo size. I see that someone suggests just adjusting the pixels on the camera - a reasonable option except that if you take a photo on higher resolution for conventional printing, or have a photo already taken, that's not so good.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by alienexplorers View Post
    I use gthumb. I open the photo and then goto the image menu and choose resize. Then I just insert or attach it to the email.
    I just installed nautilus-image-converter, wow, thats as easy as it gets. Quick and simple, just r-click the image, click resize images, do what comes natural; it even allows you to do entire selections of images; thanks for the heads up on that mike555.

+1 for gthumb, for simple chores like resizing for email.

Gimp is great but a bit like using a car crusher on a soda can.
    Last edited by starcannon; December 17th, 2008 at 08:00 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by mike555 View Post
    I think there is a right click option , called "nautilus -resize" or something like that for Ubuntu..
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install nautilus-image-converter
    How To Use Ubuntu - Tips and guides for ubuntu
    How To Make A Band - Tips and ideas for anyone in a band

Beans

Can you advise step by step how to apply the nautilus or gthumb to the photos, from selection of photo to actually attaching it to the email?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast