Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xubuntu or xp?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Exclamation Xubuntu or xp?

Would Xubuntu 8.04 be as fast as xp on 128mb of ram? 600mhz P3.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Xubuntu or xp?

absolutely. Or even faster. I used to run xp on 128 ram with celeron 1GHz and it was pretty slow. yet xubuntu ran smoothly. tough you might try to seek lighter distros, for example puppy linux is said to be great.
    Just checking if i'm really alive...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

yes, but the ram requirements for xubuntu have crept up--recommended amount is now 192-256mb. So puppy or dsl or any of the lighter distros would be a better bet

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Thanks for the quick reply.I think im gonna go with xubuntu although i haven't really used it,I have used Ubuntu for quite awhile on my desktops and i really like it alot so i really wanted to stay in the ubuntu family.but i have tried puppy on an old 300mhz machine with 128mb ram and it was actually pretty snappy.i guess i'm just an ubuntu fan.lol.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

It depends on the setup, but default xubuntu runs faster than default xp install

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by djdarrin91 View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply.I think im gonna go with xubuntu although i haven't really used it,I have used Ubuntu for quite awhile on my desktops and i really like it alot so i really wanted to stay in the ubuntu family.but i have tried puppy on an old 300mhz machine with 128mb ram and it was actually pretty snappy.i guess i'm just an ubuntu fan.lol.
    ok, suit yourself, I understand your enthusiasm about ubuntu. But you're technically way below the minimum:

"Once installed, Xubuntu can run with 192 MB RAM, but it is strongly recommended to have at least 256 MB RAM."
    good luck and let us know how it runs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have Xubuntu running an old 500Mhz K6-2 with 384M of RAM - after login, it only consumes 80meg of ram. It isn't snappy, but it runs as quick as XP on a modern dual core system.

I have, of course, prevented unneeded software/services from starting, on the Xubuntu machine.
    Locke
    Try Dropbox, it's FREE! (gratis) http://db.tt/J7Sm9iC
    Try Dropbox experimental build updater http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=12153

Beans

Xubuntu is pretty heavy for an Xfce distro. If it isn't as fast as you want, install a *box or try SliTaz.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I have run xubuntu 8.04.1 on a similarly spec'd machine as the OP with no trouble, granted its not a speed demon, but it runs much smoother than xp did on the same machine (mine was 128mb w/700mhz cpu).

http://xubuntu.com/get

Quote Originally Posted by from the page
    Minimum system requirements

To run the Desktop CD (LiveCD + Install CD), you need 128 MB RAM to run or 192 MB RAM to install. The Alternate Install CD only requires you to have 64 MB RAM. To install Xubuntu, you need 1.5 GB of free space on your hard disk. Once installed, Xubuntu can run with 192 MB RAM, but it is strongly recommended to have at least 256 MB RAM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

maybe if you run fluxbox/openbox/iceWM you can get by ok on 128mb.

xfce will consume more

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast