Thread: Installing FreePBX on Intrepid Ibex

Beans

Installing FreePBX on Intrepid Ibex

Installing freePBX on Ubuntu Server Intrepid
    Preparing to install, things to do first
    Install Intrepid server as usual. Mark LAMP when installing the services. This will add Apache, MySQL and PHP5. Log in the server and access the super user account by issuing
    Code:
    sudo su
    If you want to be sure about MySQL and PHP do this

Code:
    apt-get install php5-mysql libapache2-mod-php5 mysql-server
    You may need to set up apache appropriately, at the least be sure php5 is enabled. In Intrepid Ibex this is not needed:

Code:
    a2enmod php5
    For the localization to work properly you may have to edit /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini and modify as follow (leny/sid):

Code:
    ; PHP's built-in default is text/html
    default_mimetype = "text/html"
    ;default_charset = "ISO-8859-1"
    default_charset = "utf8";
    Adding the last line forces the default charset for php pages (override apache charset) to be utf8.

other Php.ini settings you should change to make FreePBX happy.

Code:
    ; Magic quotes for incoming GET/POST/Cookie data.
    magic_quotes_gpc = Off

;max_input_nesting_level = 64 ; Maximum input variable nesting level
    memory_limit = 100M      ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (16MB)
    Install Asterisk

Code:
    apt-get install asterisk asterisk-mysql asterisk-mp3 php-db php5-gd php-pear sox curl
    There is no reason to install zaptel if you are using kernel 2.6 or above as it will provide the timing device unless of course you are using zaptel hardware. Ztdummy is no longer necessary.

I am installing these also, sounds and prompts in spanish

Code:
    apt-get install asterisk-prompt-es asterisk-sounds-extra
    There are two approaches to solve the permissions problem, one is to add the asterisk group to the user www-data default in apache.

Code:
    adduser www-data asterisk
    The other one is to edit the /etc/apache2/envvars file and change apache's user to asterisk. I tested this one and it works.

Code:
    #export APACHE_RUN_USER=www-data
    #export APACHE_RUN_GROUP=www-data
    export APACHE_RUN_USER=asterisk
    export APACHE_RUN_GROUP=asterisk
    Reload apache

Code:
    apache2ctl graceful
    To make the FOP server start, I changed the default shell for the user asterisk that was set to false:

Code:
    usermod -s /bin/bash asterisk
    In /usr/sbin/safe_asterisk I changed the variable BACKGROUND which is in 0 to 1

Installing FreePBX

Download freepbx from http://www.freepbx.org

Code:
    cd /tmp
    wget http://mirror.freepbx.org/freepbx-2.5.1.tar.gz
    cd /usr/src/freepbx
    tar xvfz /tmp/freepbx-2.5.1.tar.gz
    cd freepbx-2.5.1
    Prepare database:

Code:
    mysqladmin create asterisk
    mysqladmin create asteriskcdrdb
    mysql asterisk < SQL/newinstall.sql 
    mysql asteriskcdrdb < SQL/cdr_mysql_table.sql

mysql

GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON asterisk.* TO asteriskuser@localhost IDENTIFIED BY 'amp109';
    GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON asteriskcdrdb.* TO asteriskuser@localhost IDENTIFIED BY 'amp109';
    flush privileges;
    quit
    Start installation of freepbx:

Code:
    ./install_amp
    Here are some of the relevant settings I changed to work with ubuntu's asterisk and apache packages:

Code:
    AMPBIN=/var/lib/asterisk/bin
    ASTAGIDIR=/usr/share/asterisk/agi-bin
    AMPWEBROOT=/var/www/freepbx
    FOPWEBROOT=/var/www/freepbx/panel
    In my case, after installing FreePBX Asterisk died without explanation, so after a LOT of testing I disabled two libraries that where stoping it to work. To disable a library you can add lines in /etc/asterisk/modules.conf. The autoload directive will load anything in the lib directory (/usr/lib/asterisk/modules) unless you put the line noload in the configuration file.

Code:
    noload =>app_directory.so
    noload =>res_adsi.so
    From http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+modules

app_directory.so => (Extension Directory)
    res_adsi.so: Resource for ADSI applications. See http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/ADSI

Change permissions in /usr/share/lib/asterisk

Code:
    chown asterisk.asterisk -R /usr/share/lib/asterisk
    To make it start at the end of everything, edit the /etc/rc.local file before the line exit 0.

Code:
    /usr/local/sbin/amportal start
    exit 0
    note/TODO: Asterisk will start on its on after package installation. If you want to run it under safe_asterisk and managed by amportal, remove asterisk from starting on its own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Installing FreePBX on Intrepid Ibex

Thank you for the thorough howto. I ran into a problem here:
    Code:
    # mysqladmin create asterisk
    mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
    error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)'
    I know nothing about working with mysql. I checked the manpage and it suggests the command same format that you posted. Any insight?

Oh, and I'm doing this on hardy server, rather than intrepid, FWIW.

edit: one of the mysql packages prompted me to create a password when installing. Using the -p switch when creating the database has it prompt you for a password. Thus,
    Code:
    # mysqladmin -p create asterisk
    Enter password:
    seems to do the trick.

db
    Last edited by clarknova; February 7th, 2009 at 06:03 AM.

Beans

Does it work on Hardy Heron, Ubuntu 804?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

It installed fine following the directions above. If you set a root password for mysql when installing it then all your mysql commands have to include the -p flag.

It took me two tries, but after realizing that I need to accept the default password for accessing the asterisk database (amp109) it works great.

I found I had to run apache as user asterisk. adduser www-data asterisk did not work for me for some reason, kept causing an error about file permissions and agi-bin in freepbx. There's more info on this point here:
    http://freepbx.org/forum/freepbx/ins...dule-agi-bin-0

db
    Last edited by clarknova; February 10th, 2009 at 06:44 PM. Reason: better information

Beans

since i was greatly helped by this post i thought i'd add that if you upgrade to asterisk 1.6 you need to create a new anything.conf file in order for freepbx (2.5.x) to work. i created the file /etc/asterisk/manager.d/admin.conf with the contents

[admin]
    secret = password
    read = system,call,log,verbose,command,agent,user,config, originate,read,write
    write = system,call,log,verbose,command,agent,user,config, originate,read,write

for googling reference this fixes the error in

/var/log/asterisk/messages

manager.c: 127.0.0.1 tried to authenticate with nonexistent user 'admin'

and

manager.c: 127.0.0.1 failed to authenticate as 'admin'

and then this following link helped me figure the problem out.

http://www.n3ncy.com/UNIX/Debian/Asterisk-1.6x.htm

Beans

thought i'd also add that the symlink for IVR custom sounds isn't quite right if you, like me, already had a

/usr/local/share/asterisk/sounds/

directory. just make sure the symlink is for "sounds" not "sounds/custom." or just do this.

sudo rmdir /usr/local/share/asterisk/sounds/

sudo ln -s /var/lib/asterisk/sounds/custom /usr/local/share/asterisk/sounds

i went down a wild goose chase with the agi-bin file permission errors but that doesn't seem to cause any problems. wish freepbx were a .deb which would make this all a lot easier.

Beans

running into more permissions problems. amportal likes to stomp on permissions so i think it's best to make sure the ASTERISKUSER value is asterisk (and not www-data). this got my newly broken outbound trunk to work but i'm still getting the 'asterisk.ctl exist?' error when trying to run the cli which then fails. i also noticed my call logs don't have data past oct 18th which is about when i upgraded the box. i'll report what i find.

btw i'm on karmic now (as of oct 18th) with asterisk 1.6 and freepbx 2.6 so maybe this should be on a new thread.

Beans

well i have cli access again and the privs aren't getting stomped on after a reboot but damn i still am not getting new data into the reports (i.e. call log). another symptom is that there aren't new entries in /var/log/asterisk/full which there are in the messages log. it's got to be a privs problem. anyone know where the call logs are stored?

Beans

Now I'm installing asterisk 1.6 and I'll be using your help, thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by steliosv View Post
    running into more permissions problems. amportal likes to stomp on permissions so i think it's best to make sure the ASTERISKUSER value is asterisk (and not www-data). this got my newly broken outbound trunk to work but i'm still getting the 'asterisk.ctl exist?' error when trying to run the cli which then fails. i also noticed my call logs don't have data past oct 18th which is about when i upgraded the box. i'll report what i find.

btw i'm on karmic now (as of oct 18th) with asterisk 1.6 and freepbx 2.6 so maybe this should be on a new thread.
    I added this lines in amportal.conf

Code:
    AMPASTERISKUSER=www-data
    AMPASTERISKWEBUSER=www-data
    AMPASTERISKGROUP=asterisk
    And it worked. I did install Asterisk in a heavy use Apache installation so making it run under asterisk user was not an option.