Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: X-server breakage

Beans

Re: X-server breakage

> > I will be waiting for awhile...
    > > Except if somebody has got a workaround?

> Use the nv driver.

Someone has a high performance, high feature, sports car for which a new kind of tire isn't yet compatible, and he's told to downgrade to a Yugo because it is compatible with that tire, rather than told that the new tire is just for testing, isn't of all that much importance, and that, yes, he should just relax and wait for his sports car to be prepared for it.

Licensing zealotry aside, nv is a toy whose sole value can be found in acting as a backup for when a real driver cannot be made available. And nouveau is not much, if any, better. Certainly not at this stage of development, nor any time soon.

Would we all like fully functional Open Source drivers? Yes, of course. But we *need* fully functional drivers. Who is going to explain to the newbie when suspend/resume stops working? Or the eye candy? Or any of the myriad other things not supported except by the real driver? He is prepared to wait, so lets not downgrade his experience.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by NoelJB View Post
    > > I will be waiting for awhile...
    > > Except if somebody has got a workaround?

> Use the nv driver.

Someone has a high performance, high feature, sports car for which a new kind of tire isn't yet compatible, and he's told to downgrade to a Yugo because it is compatible with that tire, rather than told that the new tire is just for testing, isn't of all that much importance, and that, yes, he should just relax and wait for his sports car to be prepared for it.

Licensing zealotry aside, nv is a toy whose sole value can be found in acting as a backup for when a real driver cannot be made available. And nouveau is not much, if any, better. Certainly not at this stage of development, nor any time soon.

Would we all like fully functional Open Source drivers? Yes, of course. But we *need* fully functional drivers. Who is going to explain to the newbie when suspend/resume stops working? Or the eye candy? Or any of the myriad other things not supported except by the real driver? He is prepared to wait, so lets not downgrade his experience.
    Well... whatever our devs chooses for solution the nVidia challenge can be fixed. ATI is probably impossible, Intel 86X seems to have trouble.

We are for sure no helpless noobs and we can for sure help each other to fix 3D. Newbies should also stay away from Alphas !!!

Some users will also choose the Nouveau driver and its just great.

But for sure the best solution is to rebuild the 180 driver and a script for ignoreABI but I don't think they have time for that...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by plun View Post
    We are for sure no helpless noobs and we can for sure help each other to fix 3D. Newbies should also stay away from Alphas !!!
    Wasn't talking about you. I've seen your name around, and have a fair idea of your capabilities. I'm just referring to almost knee-jerk reactions to recommend drivers that we know are functionally bad.

And, yes, it is all well and good to tell newbies to stay away from alpha releases, but (a) they'll play with it anyway, and (b) there are plenty of constructive things that they can do and test without sending them into known areas of breakage that turn them off from working in more useful areas.

Some users will also choose the Nouveau driver and its just great.
    As the release notes suggest, if one is not prepared and able to submit patches against the driver, please don't bother using it.

But for sure the best solution is to rebuild the 180 driver and a script for ignoreABI but I don't think they have time for that...
    That's one option. Another is to wait for nvidia to put out a 180 drop intended for 1.6, and hopefully also fixing the suspend/resume bug they they introduced in the 180 series.

Meanwhile, there are so many other areas of Jaunty to test and work on that don't require upgrading to the latest X server.

Beans
    Distro

Just did the usual apt-get update upgrade and it went wonky until 3 reboots sorted it. It only removed the 177 driver. When I got in I enabled the driver and all ok now.

Whew>>>

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: X-server breakage

Well, plun my friend---I must either use the repo drivers or "roll my own" due to the SLI setup I have as I have not been able to get the nv driver to even start with SLI & I really doubt that the Nouveau driver can work with SLI either.....

I am thinking about the "roll my own" option---will see how things work this week & next---I'm holding out for Alberto to come thru again

Cheers!!!!
    autocrosser

Well... the safest way must be to just uninstall/deactivate 3D drivers from nVidia and ATI and then upgrade Xserver

There are no more comments about the nVidia driver within the bug report.

After that its up to every user to install and enable ignoreABI within xorg.conf..... !!!

Its also more important that Xserver 1.6 is tested early, so this is just good. IMHO

Maybe Alberto will change this but it will probably take a while for him.
    Jockey is also changed and nVidia/ATI disabled for the moment.

Alpha2 is also within "soft freeze" for the moment...
    "Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favourite lines from AVATAR
    Linux User#395230
    Ubuntu User# 13498

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by NoelJB View Post
    And, yes, it is all well and good to tell newbies to stay away from alpha releases, but (a) they'll play with it anyway, and (b) there are plenty of constructive things that they can do and test without sending them into known areas of breakage that turn them off from working in more useful areas.

That's one option. Another is to wait for nvidia to put out a 180 drop intended for 1.6, and hopefully also fixing the suspend/resume bug they they introduced in the 180 series.

Meanwhile, there are so many other areas of Jaunty to test and work on that don't require upgrading to the latest X server.
    Well... Hardy and Intrepid was both messed up because of "waiting and waiting".

Its better to take "the ****" in the beginning and also that newbies maybe learns what a development version is....

The resume/suspend bug is probably a combination of a kernel bug and mismatch with the nVidia driver

Linus blog:
    http://torvalds-family.blogspot.com/...ging-hell.html

Nevertheless not important for a development, non-production version !
    I cannot understand any whinings about this ! Just to collect all facts within a bug report and also a bug report to nVidia.

Nevertheless the 180.16 driver from nVidia works excellent with Xserver 1.6 at least for me....

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by autocrosser View Post
    Well, plun my friend---I must either use the repo drivers or "roll my own" due to the SLI setup I have as I have not been able to get the nv driver to even start with SLI & I really doubt that the Nouveau driver can work with SLI either.....
    Of course.... "dinxter's" solution just works.

Alberto must rebuild the driver and preferred is 180.16, maybe nVidia releases a new one today...

If Alberto doesn't rebuilt it, install the driver from recovery

IgnoreABI must be set within xorg.conf.

Jockey must be changed again.....

Thats it, not so much, IMHO....

Beans

Talking Re: X-server breakage

Of course.... "dinxter's" solution just works.

Alberto must rebuild the driver and preferred is 180.16, maybe nVidia releases a new one today...

If Alberto doesn't rebuilt it, install the driver from recovery

IgnoreABI must be set within xorg.conf.

Jockey must be changed again.....

Thats it, not so much, IMHO....
    Thanks i was just setting it in gdm.conf
    without results
    http://flamerobin.org
    Vbulletin is propietary please migrate to phpbb3 and firebird sql

Beans
    Distro

Installing the nvidia drivers from system>admin>hardware drivers removes xserver-xorg in the background. No warning.

Had to install xserver-xorg from recovery to get back in.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

good morning all from cold and snowy New York
    I take it the xserver issue is not resolved yet?
    Unfortunetly I use onboard Intel865G. graphics
    I wait eagerly for the fix
    (Was)Windows Free At Last
    "May You Have A Safe Trip and A Successful Journey"
    Linux user #432153 Ubuntu user #8521

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast