Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Improving Ubuntu: A Beginners Guide to Filing Bug Reports

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Improving Ubuntu: A Beginners Guide to Filing Bug Reports

drubin,
    In this case, the lists that I am talking about do not refer to email lists, I'm talking about bbcode lists, for the translated post. I know the [0], [1], etc. markings for posting links in emails such that they are not embedded in the body of the email. But that's not what I was talking about. Compare the formatting in the first post of this thread (the guide) to sajnox's translation and you will see that he isn't using autoformatted indented lists (bullets and numbers).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ye now I see what you are talking about... Kinda missed the post because it wasn't in english so didn't take notice of it enough to know you were talking about that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket2DMn View Post
    If you'd like, I can email you the bbcode contents of my original post so you can apply the formatting and sized/colored section headers to your translated guide. No need to post your email here, I can do it from your user profile, or you can PM me a different email address other than the one you are registered here with. Just let me know!
    Yes please!! It would be great!

Please send me your bbcode and I will apply it in my translation
    Sajnox
    Home Page

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For those interested, at Brian Murray's suggestion I added a brief piece about using the program "ubuntu-bug" to have Apport help with filing bug reports. From what I can tell, this tool exists in up-to-date versions of Hardy Heron and newer (in Intrepid and newer you don't need the -p flag to accompany the package name, but it doesn't hurt). Brian is Ubuntu's resident bug god
    Cheers.

Beans

If you'd like, I can email you the bbcode contents of my original post so you can apply the formatting and sized/colored section headers to your translated guide.
    You don't need to email the bbcode. Just tell sajnox to look at the toolbar of his post editor.
    You can set your editor preferences in User CP (the first link in the grey bar above). Click on the 'Edit Options' under the heading 'Settings & Options' in the side bar. And in the page that opens sroll to the end of the page. You will find the editor preference in 'Message Editor Interface' under 'Miscellaneous Options' (its the only setting in the section )

Hare Krishna
    And pray for me too...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

thanks for clearing things up. i think i remember during my first install DEselecting a default option for automated reporting, because i had concerns about privacy. but after more than a year using ubuntu such concerns have receded and i'd like to enable auto-reporting -- but i can't find where the option is...much obliged if anyone could refresh my memory.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hey jeterfan, to enable apport, run
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/default/apport
    and change
    Code:
    enabled=0
    to
    Code:
    enabled=1
    Save and close, then restart apport with
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/apport restart
    Apport should now be running, though some people have found that they can only get it working after a reboot. You can read a bit more abbout Apport on the wiki.

Beans

Thank you! This is very useful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hey jeterfan, to enable apport, run
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/default/apport
    and change
    Code:
    enabled=0
    to
    Code:
    enabled=1
    Save and close, then restart apport with
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/apport restart
    Apport should now be running, though some people have found that they can only get it working after a reboot. You can read a bit more abbout Apport on the wiki.
    thanks! I did all that and restarted, but still don't know if it's running or not (i don't see it listed in System Monitor under Processes). but i'm gonna read that wiki link you posted. domo arigato

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Umm- please could someone walk through how a user should request an Application Add?

EG - I see an application available out on the Net, and it would fulfil a need... and I can't find that app within Synaptic...

What would be the format of an Enhancement Request? So eventually I could just collect the app once it had been built and released for whichever version of Ubuntu I'd be on at the time?

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast