Thread: Panel gone haywire!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 20.04 Focal Fossa

Panel gone haywire!

I had Ubuntu Studio 18.04LTS. My panel went missing. I started it via terminal. After that, every boot, I got a stack of repeat instances of error messages.

"GDBus.errorrg.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.xfce.Panel was not provided by any .service files"

"Modifying the panel is not allowed: Because the panel is running in kiosk mode, you are not allowed to make changes to the panel configuration as a regular user."

Of course, there was no panel visible to make changes to until after I'd started a new one every time!

When I started the new instance the first time, the old panel was replaced by a new default panel. I added launchers, the new one stuck around. I still had to go through the above scenario every reboot.

This weekend, I upgraded, via the software updater, to Ubuntu Studio 20.04LTS. New panel problem! Now when I start, I still get "GDBusErrorrg.freedesktop.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.Xfce.panel was not provided by any .service files." I don't get the other message any more.

The panel is there at start, but it's got a blinking red border, as if it's being edited. I open the Panel settings in Settings Manager, close it, and no more blinking.

I tried to have a look at the Xfce4panel.xml file, but there isn't one. I am utterly confused about what's happening here! Any help appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Panel gone haywire!

Not sure what the problem is but the xfce4 panel settings are stored in ~/.config/xfce4/panel. Hope this is useful.
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________
    Sent from my iSomething running Linux - safe, fast and it is free! Didn't have to pay for the badge

Beans
    Distro

Hmm. I thought the panel settings were in the xfce4-panel.xml? I'm thoroughly pizzled now. Before, there was no xfce4-panel.xml at all. Now it's there. Nothing in the file seems to be relevant to the problem, though. And I get a new error message at boot (sorry, don't remember it perfectly) saying something like "unable to open preferences." I get two of those. Then I open the panel settings, close them, voila. So weird.

Beans
    Distro

I'm not entirely sure which piece of the puzzle solved my problem. It was exacerbated by another weird issue of a lock screen that led to a second lock screen in which the keyboard wouldn't work. No idea if it's related.

But here's what solved it: switched to Gnome desktop. Switched back to xfce (Ubuntu Studio). No more issues on either front. So far.