Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Improving Ubuntu: A Beginners Guide to Filing Bug Reports

Beans

Re: Improving Ubuntu: A Beginners Guide to Filing Bug Reports

Excellent information. I'm a new member of Ubuntu and I'm still exploring and learning too. Reading your post is very interesting and helpful.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

thanks for good guied

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

thank you very much it was very helpful 10/10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Can somebody indicate how long it takes before a bug-report is even noticed? Looks like it can be anything from immediate to eternity. Can a bug be kicked like a post here?

I logged https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/389308 in june 2009 and after 2.5 month the status has not changed, no requests for extra info or whatever.

They don't seem to care at all and I'm getting pissed off with that.
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Wim Sturkenboom View Post
    Can somebody indicate how long it takes before a bug-report is even noticed? Looks like it can be anything from immediate to eternity. Can a bug be kicked like a post here?

I logged https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/389308 in june 2009 and after 2.5 month the status has not changed, no requests for extra info or whatever.

That sometimes happens, have had the same issues. I could check wheter I can reproduce the bug. You can bump it if you want, and/or hop on irc on the freenode servers and join the #ubuntu-bugs channel to ask around.

Are you aware of any upstream bugs? If so, post them in that bugreport.

I confirmed your bug, both 8.04 and 9.10 have the same issue, so 8.10/9.04 will experience the same.
    Last edited by slakkie; August 31st, 2009 at 12:21 PM.
    Upgrade Ubuntu | Upgrade unsupported Ubuntu versions | Always backup | Howto upgrade flash
    Minimal CD install | Remove old kernels | My blog | Linux user #462801 | Conscience doth make cowards of us all. -- Shakespeare

Beans
    Distro

Slakkie, thanks

I'm glad that you could confirm. I've just checked launchpad and the status has changed to confirmed. Complaining here helps :scratch:

I will wait a few days to see if the packages will be updated. If not, I will manually edit the file as suggested in http://groups.google.com/group/linux...5774c9a6fd6c1e . I did plan to do that but I was not sure if that would not break other stuff.
    I also saw a (possible) solution/workaround and will try that soon. Any chance that it will break automatic updates through the package manager (because of a timestamp issue)?
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans
    Distro

I changed the status to confirmed, since I was able to confirm it. If I was you, I would update the file - don't think they will update the package that quick

Now we have to wait, but at least you can continue and don't have the error anymore. If you upgrade to another version (to 8.10 and up) you will need to update that file again, since the package manager will just override the file.
    Upgrade Ubuntu | Upgrade unsupported Ubuntu versions | Always backup | Howto upgrade flash
    Minimal CD install | Remove old kernels | My blog | Linux user #462801 | Conscience doth make cowards of us all. -- Shakespeare

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just for the record, it is generally bad etiquette to bump bugs, they aren't like forum threads. However, it is OK to post to the bug if you have more or new relevant information or updates. It's also OK to make note that a bug still exists after upgrading to a new version of Ubuntu and find that the bug is still present.

Also, bugs related to development release versions tend to get more attention - posting bugs from older versions of Ubuntu, even if they are supported like Hardy, don't tend to get as much love. If possible, you should check to see if bugs exist in the development release as it is likely that a bug triager or developer will request this before proceeding further.

Cheers.

Beans
    Distro

@Slakkie
    I thought it was you One of the posts looked very familiar. I do not really understand how the whole launchpad works but it now seems to be gone upstream. Did you push it up as well? Or did that happen automatically.

The problem that I have with the solution is that I do not now if the sgmlparser version is actually a version 1.1. If it is, no problem, if it's not, there might be stuff that other tcl package require that is in version 1.1 and not in version 1.0. The other option would have been to tell tclxml that it requires sgmlarser 1.0, but again, I don't know if it breaks something if the actual 1.0 would have been available instead of 1.1.

@Rocket2DMn
    I understand that new developments get more attention and I'm not the type that will kick after a few days. However issues with LTS releases should definitely get more attention than issues with non-LTS releases (8.10 and 9.04) as they're aimed at the corporate world.

What would have happened if the bug was not in a newer releases? From your post I understand that there is a real chance that it would never be solved. A suggestion to upgrade to solve it will be out of the question as people have specific reasons to stick to LTS.
    Slakkie has now confirmed that it's in 9.10 as well so we might be lucky.

It however leaves a very sour taste that one points out a possible problem and nobody seems to be interested. I admit, I'm probably the first one to benefit from it when it gets solved.

Further my confidence in Ubuntu has taken a serious hit as this could have easily been picked up by a simple testscript.

Beans
    Distro

@Slakkie
    I thought it was you One of the posts looked very familiar. I do not really understand how the whole launchpad works but it now seems to be gone upstream. Did you push it up as well? Or did that happen automatically.
    It didn't go upstream, I made a link to the Debian bugtracker where this bug is logged as well. So updates on the Debian bugtracker can be followed in Launchpad.

I'm thinking about updating the Debian bug, I use Lenny as well, so I should be able to confirm the bug on Debian as well.

The problem that I have with the solution is that I do not now if the sgmlparser version is actually a version 1.1. If it is, no problem, if it's not, there might be stuff that other tcl package require that is in version 1.1 and not in version 1.0. The other option would have been to tell tclxml that it requires sgmlarser 1.0, but again, I don't know if it breaks something if the actual 1.0 would have been available instead of 1.1.
    You are telling libxml it must use v1.1 and not 1.0. So I think your concern is not needed. But test it, if it breaks other stuff then add this to the bugreport so actions can be taken.

@Rocket2DMn
    I understand that new developments get more attention and I'm not the type that will kick after a few days. However issues with LTS releases should definitely get more attention than issues with non-LTS releases (8.10 and 9.04) as they're aimed at the corporate world.

What would have happened if the bug was not in a newer releases? From your post I understand that there is a real chance that it would never be solved. A suggestion to upgrade to solve it will be out of the question as people have specific reasons to stick to LTS.
    Slakkie has now confirmed that it's in 9.10 as well so we might be lucky.
    I totally agree with you on your LTS standpoint. I have had a similar problem with zsh. I found a bug with zsh version 4.3.4 on Hardy and it was fixed in 4.3.9 which is in Jaunty. They asked me to upgrade to Jaunty from LTS... I was not really happy with that.

I did confirm that the bug was fixed in Karmic and they told me (they is someone in #ubuntu-bugs) that the zsh version of Karmic could end up in the backport section of Hardy. But I have to wait, since I haven't seen any updates so far.

But yeah, LTS and new releases should get more attention then the intermittent releases. I fully agree.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast