Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Improving Ubuntu: A Beginners Guide to Filing Bug Reports

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Improving Ubuntu: A Beginners Guide to Filing Bug Reports

Quote Originally Posted by alexcckll View Post
    Umm- please could someone walk through how a user should request an Application Add?

EG - I see an application available out on the Net, and it would fulfil a need... and I can't find that app within Synaptic...

What would be the format of an Enhancement Request? So eventually I could just collect the app once it had been built and released for whichever version of Ubuntu I'd be on at the time?
    First, I would suggest you read this. It explains the process of getting a new package added to the repositories.

The first thing I would suggest you do is search Launchpad to see if there are any needs-packaging bug reports for that package. If there aren't, please file one. An example needs-packaging request can be seen here.

If you are interested in packaging the application yourself, please set the needs-packaging bug to 'In Progress', and assign yourself to it. The Complete Packaging Guide will help teach you what you need to know to package the application. Once you have a working source package, you can upload it to REVU. Once it is up on REVU, you need to wait for 2 MOTUs to advocate the upload. If the package has some mistakes in it, the MOTUs will add a comment explaining what is wrong and how to fix it. Once you get 2 advocations, the package can be uploaded to the New queue. There, it needs to be approved by an Archive Admin. Once an Archive Admin approves it, it can enter the repositories.

One thing to keep in mind is that we are currently in Feature Freeze. This means that most MOTUs will be focusing on making Ubuntu more stable instead of reviewing packages on REVU. It also means that you will need a Freeze Exception in order for your package to be uploaded. If it is not urgent that your package be in Jaunty, I would suggest waiting until the Karmic repositories open up before trying to get the application uploaded to the repositories.
    Be sure to check out the Community Ubuntu Documentation and the Ubuntu Team Wiki.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've had a look at that guide... but it talks about getting source.

In my case - I won't necessarily know where to get that. It may be a commercial app, it could be a freeware one.

I would want to raise what i know from work as a Complex Order - I might know the main website.. but nothing else. Only that the app was "available for Linux".

I am an end-user at the moment. But.. i am on 8.04. How would I be able to ask for the app to be built for me, if I had a requirement for it? Or would it be the case of raising the request and then eventually being able to apt-get the app on the next Major Release...

How long do apps normally take to be built for production?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This thread has been updated to use Apport / ubuntu-bug as the primary method for reporting bugs to fully align with Ubuntu's best practices on bug reporting. Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Umm - all of those guides talk from the perspective of a developer who wants to package up their application.

What about the end-user who sees or hears about an application... and would like ot raise what I know as a Complex Order?

From the basis of seeing an application advertised.. but has no clue about taking it further.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Umm - all of those guides talk from the perspective of a developer who wants to package up their application.

What about the end-user who sees or hears about an application... and would like ot raise what I know as a Complex Order?

From the basis of seeing an application advertised.. but has no clue about taking it further.
    I'm afraid I don't quite follow you. Is there a question about reporting bugs in there? I would be happy to explain any questions you have with respect to bug reports.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by billyg View Post
    is there any subscription needed for bug reporting?
    You just need an account on Launchpad, which is free to register, and they never spam you with email or anything like that. When you file a bug report, you are automatically subscribed to that bug, and will receive email updates about that bug report when others comment on it or change its status. If you place comments on other bugs, you can click a checkbox to subscribe to it so that you also receive updates on that bug report.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket2DMn View Post
    I'm afraid I don't quite follow you. Is there a question about reporting bugs in there? I would be happy to explain any questions you have with respect to bug reports.
    He is asking how can he request a program to be added to the repositories.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu27 View Post
    He is asking how can he request a program to be added to the repositories.
    Correct.. any chance instructions could follow?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Correct.. any chance instructions could follow?
    This was already explained in post 31. Please see above.

Beans

It is a very detailed step by step guide on filing a bug report. I have learned so many tips here and a new term like bug triager. How it works and what does it mean. Very useful to me. Thanks.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast