Thread: Gnome panel goes invisible when LibreOffice is on

Beans

Gnome panel goes invisible when LibreOffice is on

I recently upgraded to 13.10 saucy. Have been using it for a couple weeks and in the last couple days have had to use LibreOffice. When LibreOffice is on, but not previously, gnome-panel and Docky become invisible. I can still see tooltips and click on now-invisible icons (at random because I can't see them). sudo killall gnome-panel doesn't fix this. The panel and Docky aren't invisible the moment I turn on LibreOffice, but when I open, say, a new dialog box, they disappear. They can also reappear periodically. And, my mouse clicks don't seem to function properly in all cases even on visible window elements when the panel is gone. Video freezes episodically with audio still going--problem disappears when I shift to another desktop and back.

Anyone have ideas about possible workarounds?

Beans

Re: Gnome panel goes invisible when LibreOffice is on

Hi there!

This happens whenever you open LibreOffice? Do you see any flickering before the items dissapear?. Have you tried running LO in an unmaximized window to see if there's any other weird behaviour?.

I used to have this problem on my former laptop with Raring-dated packages, and moving around the LO window would restore the desktop to it's regular appearance.
    My Arch Linux Blog in Spanish
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacobonbuntu View Post
    No OS is good in itself; it is always the combination of user and OS that makes a good combination, or not.

Beans

Hi silex89: I never run LO in maximized windows. I haven't seen a flicker either. One moment the panels are there, the next they're gone. Also, things begin to stop responding to mouse clicks, e.g. dialog box buttons. The panels occasionally come back and click-ability sometimes returns, but then both go away again. I can use the hide button on my lower panel to make it reappear again, but it generally disappears promptly as well.

I've tried the LO ppa for the current LO sequence, so 4.1.5--hoping that maybe the LO people have fixed this. Get the same problem.

Beans

Strange....Are you using gnome panel with Compiz effects enabled? What happens if you switch to the Metacity WM in the Classic Session with no effects?

Are you using proprietary driver for your graphic card?
    My Arch Linux Blog in Spanish
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacobonbuntu View Post
    No OS is good in itself; it is always the combination of user and OS that makes a good combination, or not.

Beans

Hi silex89: Thanks again for your replies! I'm using gnome-panel in a classic gnome session with no effects (that's what it says). Compiz is installed, but ps aux doesn't show it running. Metacity is running. On the other hand, from the behavior of my Docky app, it looks like compositing is on. Not quite sure how to turn that off, if it would make a difference.

Beans

I did a clean install of 14.04. The problem seems to be gone.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Good, please mark the thread 'solved'.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts