Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Desktop Info App With Html Support (gtk-desktop-info)

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Desktop Info App With Html Support (gtk-desktop-info)

Quote Originally Posted by HippyRandall View Post
    Laughing at an old man isn't nice you young whipper-snapper!

Quote Originally Posted by HippyRandall View Post
    here's a shell.template I use:
    Code:
    <div id="wrapper">
        <div class="hugedark" align="right">[date +"%I<span class="hugelight">:</span>%M%p"]</div>
        <div class="mediumlight" align="right">[date +"%a, <span class="largedark">%d</span> %B"]</div>
        <div class="mediumdark" align="right">Core 0: <span class="mediumlight">[sensors |grep Core0 |cut -c15-16]&deg;C</span> <span class="mediumdark">| Core 1: <span class="mediumlight">[sensors |grep Core1 |cut -c15-16]&deg;C</span> | GPU: <span class="mediumlight">[nvidia-settings -q gpucoretemp |grep Attribute |cut -c47-48]&deg;C</span><br></div>
    </div>
    nothing special other than liking to see my temps
    Thanks Hip, I'll give it a go.
    I just might create and "old" style html page, with depreciated code, and no css sheet. to start with.

But I am going to play with this.
    CHIMO!
    Bruce

Beans

Wow, I finally decided to find out what conky was all about YESTERDAY.
    Talk about good timing. This is pretty amazing.
    Good work. Keep it up!
    *shoves nose back into manpages*

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by kaivalagi View Post
    Don't worry, Hippy and I will hone your skills again!
    No doubt in that, also my inner self that wants my layout to be "mine" will encourage re-learning an old subject.

You can always use something like bluefish to get a html page sorted out, then edit that in gedit/mousepad to put in the details...
    Yup, have had bluefish for a while now, not a lot of time to play with it. To busy tweaking conky. Of course now ....

Thanks for the award, I am not very good at accepting compliments though Time will tell whether I deserve it or not...
    From the other posts I see here I have one thing to say: Get use to it!

You've worked hard, people have noticed. Accept it! There are people that appreciate what you've done and will be here to help and improve it, via suggestions or code.

I just hope people get something out of it

K
    Oh I'm sure they will. I know I will.

I tried three times yesterday to respond to this, and kept getting dropped carrier. I hope this time it works! =D>

Chimo!
    Bruce

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Cool Re: Desktop Info App With Html Support (gtk-desktop-info)

~$ gtk-desktop-info
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/share/gtk-desktop-info/gtk_desktop_info.py", line 334, in <module>
    info = GTKDesktopInfo(options)
    File "/usr/share/gtk-desktop-info/gtk_desktop_info.py", line 100, in __init__
    self.options.css = app_path+"/style/plugin_"+self.options.plugin+"_"+self.options.colo ur+".css"
    TypeError: cannot concatenate 'str' and 'NoneType' objects

hi this is what i get if i try runnuing this. Install was without a problem. What do i do. Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by dksdk View Post
    ~$ gtk-desktop-info
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/share/gtk-desktop-info/gtk_desktop_info.py", line 334, in <module>
    info = GTKDesktopInfo(options)
    File "/usr/share/gtk-desktop-info/gtk_desktop_info.py", line 100, in __init__
    self.options.css = app_path+"/style/plugin_"+self.options.plugin+"_"+self.options.colo ur+".css"
    TypeError: cannot concatenate 'str' and 'NoneType' objects

hi this is what i get if i try runnuing this. Install was without a problem. What do i do. Thanks in advance.
    You are running the app with no options, take a look at the guide pdf to see example usage. Run this to view it:

Code:
    gtk-desktop-info.guide
    You should run it with the plugin option as a bare minimum:

Code:
    gtk-desktop-info --plugin=shell
    I'll update the app to have it run the shell plugin by default when no options are given...new release will have this. Edit: 0.04 now has this feature
    Last edited by kaivalagi; December 31st, 2008 at 12:21 PM.

Beans

I've tried to install using the first method suggested, i.e. running this:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install gtk-desktop-info
    And get the following in response:
    Code:
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
      gtk-desktop-info: Depends: python-webkitgtk but it is not installable
    E: Broken packages
    I'm running 8.04 LTS. The missing python-webkitgtk package is not in Synaptic. Universe, Multiverse, Restricted, and suggested http://ppa.launchpad.net/m-buck/ubuntu intrepid main are enabled.

-First question is were to find the package?
    -Second-why it is claimed "not installable"? Am I running a risk to break anything on my 8.04 LTS by installing it?

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by vitorio View Post
    I've tried to install using the first method suggested, i.e. running this:

And get the following in response:
    Code:
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
      gtk-desktop-info: Depends: python-webkitgtk but it is not installable
    E: Broken packages
    I'm running 8.04 LTS. The missing python-webkitgtk package is not in Synaptic. Universe, Multiverse, Restricted, and suggested http://ppa.launchpad.net/m-buck/ubuntu intrepid main are enabled.

-First question is were to find the package?
    -Second-why it is claimed "not installable"? Am I running a risk to break anything on my 8.04 LTS by installing it?

Thanks
    gtk-desktop-info is made for intrepid (8.10), and it looks like unfortunately it wont work for older versions of Ubuntu such as hardy (8.04) because of dependencies.

If 8.04 does not have the python-webkitgtk package available, which seems to be the case, then gtk-desktop-info can't install either. Webkit is necessary for the working of gtk-desktop-info, without it html cannot be rendered on the desktop...have you tried the backports in case webkit is there?

Alternatively you may be able to find a deb package of webkit to download and install manually onto 8.04, then the install will have a better chance...but I have no idea where to look for it. Try googling for "deb" and "webkitgtk" and see what you can find...

Sorry I can't be of more help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

ok so not much has been going on in this thread since K started it. I have been thinking about implementing some stuff from: http://jquery.com/
    I also found:
    http://www.ndesign-studio.com/demo/c.../css-dock.html from
    http://www.ndesign-studio.com/blog/mac/css-dock-menu
    that might be some fun as a custom html launcher...if I can figure out how?! lol

Cheers all and let's see some customization already!!!

Hippy
    hippyrandall.com | This is the first age that's paid much attention to the future, which is alittle ironic since we may not have one. -- Arthur Clarke

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Nice app again, K.

Request: I'm using the gtk-desktop-info exaile-plugin through conky and I'm enjoying it, one thing though... can you by any chance include playback controls like pause,forward and play on the plugin itself.

Nice work on all the scripts, keep it up!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by stepper View Post
    Nice app again, K.

Request: I'm using the gtk-desktop-info exaile-plugin through conky and I'm enjoying it, one thing though... can you by any chance include playback controls like pause,forward and play on the plugin itself.
    Play back will be an issue, the app is essentially much the same as conky except it renders everything in html rather than plain text with fonts.

Because of this, the output is generally read only.

To get playback controls would require some clever javascript to talk to exaile from a browser window basically. If you can find some way to talk to exaile using javascript then I'd be happy to help you implement it in a template.

Food for thought.....how to render html but also have rich python gui content too.

Now if you used rhythmbox I could point you in the direction of the desktop-art plugin for it in my repos...

Quote Originally Posted by stepper View Post
    Nice work on all the scripts, keep it up!
    Some thanks have to go to Hippy, he helped me with the templates and css, and went through the pain of testing it with me before it was put out there for everyone.

Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast