Thread: Can't boot Fedora 10 on HP dv6815

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Can't boot Fedora 10 on HP dv6815

I decided to give Fedora a try, and can't get it to boot on my laptop. It hangs right after starting cups. It is supposed to go to the login screen at that point, which I assume is graphics related. I've tried several boot options to affect graphics with no luck. I have Nvidia GeForce 7150. I've tried: xforcevesa, vga=791, etc. I did'nt see any "safe mode" options. Can anyone help me get it started?

Beans

Re: Can't boot Fedora 10 on HP dv6815

Add the number 3 to the end fo the string of boot options to try booting to runlevel 3 (full multi-user, no X). If that works it probably is graphics related. Then login as root and run 'Xorg -configure' to generate an xorg.conf (will appear in /root as xorg.conf.new). Then change the graphics driver to vesa and any other changes you may want and save the file in /etc/X11/ as xorg.conf, and run the command 'init 5' to start up full multi-user + X.

If booting to runlevel 3 fails, check your CD/iso image to make sure it wasn't corrupted.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Distro

I checked the md5 sum. It boots okay on my HP desktop. The nv driver doesn't support my laptop card yet, so I'm guessing it is graphics related. I had the same problem with Ubuntu, but I got the bulletproofx dialog. I wasn't sure of any of the Fedora boot options. I'll give that a try.

Beans
    Distro

That done the trick! I am writing this from the Fedora live CD. For some weird reason it had 16 entries in xorg.conf. It almost looked like it tried to configure every PCI slot as a graphics card. Once I got booted into the desktop, lspci detected everything correctly, and my atheros ar5007 works out of the box. I've never seen anything like that happen before. Does Fedora have an alternate installer like Ubuntu?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 67GTA View Post
    That done the trick! I am writing this from the Fedora live CD. For some weird reason it had 16 entries in xorg.conf. It almost looked like it tried to configure every PCI slot as a graphics card. Once I got booted into the desktop, lspci detected everything correctly, and my atheros ar5007 works out of the box. I've never seen anything like that happen before. Does Fedora have an alternate installer like Ubuntu?
    There's the DVD, which is similar. Aside from downloading 4+ gigs worth... It configures network interfaces not to use network manager by default (which I guess ubuntu's does too?) and a few other things that are annoying for desktop use, so the liveCD is usually preferable.

I'm sure there is a boot option that could fix the PCI issue, but I haven't the slightest idea what it is.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2