View Poll Results: Yes or No?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 16.35%
  • No

87 83.65%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should NoScript be in *buntu by default?

Beans

Should NoScript be in *buntu by default?

I voted yes, mainly because JavaScript can steal cookies from another web page if you are browsing the internet with additional tabs or windows open. And for people who go, "I don't like my browser lighting up like a Christmas tree" there is a preference in NoScript to make it not bother you during browsing.

Thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Should NoScript be in *buntu by default?

I have noscript installed, but have it turned off most of the time as I know where I am browsing, and it interfers with many of my sites. Therefore I believe it should be left as optional. After all, that is the mission of open source, CHOICE
    Never wade in water you're afraid to swim in unless it's the Linux pond, cause there's always a life ring in the forums

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

NO! NoScript is annoying. If you want it download it. I realize it takes 5 seconds to disable but that is 5 seconds I could spend in Quake Live or on a YouTube video
    REGISTERED UBUNTU USER - #25241
    I void warranties.
    Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science.

Beans

NoScript should be default in Firefox. Browsing without it is insecure and shows a disregard for privacy.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I tried it once, found it really annoying. Might try it again to see if I can disable the nagging.

Beans

As if the Ubuntu devs don't have enough to do without adding more patches to a perfectly good program as it is? It's not the kind of thing you'd want to ship Firefox with without the end user knowing about it. It requires a lot of setup, telling it which sites you want scripts on and which you don't. If someone is prepared to do that then they can add it themselves.

"Stealing" cookies is not a big deal. Cookies are tiny bits of information that only mean something to the site that set them. It has a number that tracks to the setting servers database and that number means nothing to another site. Just look through some of your own cookies if you don't believe me. People get paranoid about cookies thinking they contain your life story but if the information was anything valuable then it wouldn't be left in a cookie. Preventing Javascript is useful for preventing Javascript exploits however.

Beans

NoScript reminds me of that hyper, naggy kid we all disliked so much in school. I voted no.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sub2007 View Post
    People get paranoid about cookies thinking they contain your life story but if the information was anything valuable then it wouldn't be left in a cookie. Preventing Javascript is useful for preventing Javascript exploits however.

*Ahem* logging in automatically upon each visit uses a cookie.

Quote Originally Posted by gettinoriginal
    I have noscript installed, but have it turned off most of the time as I know where I am browsing, and it interfers with many of my sites.
    You can whitelist any site you go to by right clicking the NoScript icon and selecting "allow ..."

Therefore I believe it should be left as optional. After all, that is the mission of open source, CHOICE
    Yep, and including around 5 programs you will likely never use in Ubuntu/Kubuntu is totally choice...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am happy with my current browsing experience.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I said No. I tried NoScript once but I found it such a pain I got rid of it.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 2 X 1TB, 1 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast