Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Adobe Flash player won't install?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Adobe Flash player won't install?

to fix this.

go to the tar.gz you downloaded right click and copy libflashplayer.so

paste it here

/usr/lib/firefox/plugins/libflashplayer.so

By the way this simple process is made uber-annoying with install scripts, It's just a plugin for fork's sake.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans

Ok so it worked fine when I ran the install_flash_player_9_linux installer but now every time I restart my computer it won't work.

Any place there's a flash app on a web page it just shows a big blank white space.

It will work if I rerun the installer EVERY TIME I RESTART THE COMPUTER. Why won't it stick.

Better yet, why the heck is it so dang difficult? Why won't it just work?

I actually think it's trying to screw me in any way it can.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

completely remove any flash you have. then
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    then
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    then go here and download the .deb for ubuntu. click to install. restart firefox if open.

Beans

No I will waste another 20 hours of my life trying to get flash player 10 to work when it clearly does not work for Ubuntu, just look around the internet and you'll see hundreds of other who have the same problem.

I think I will try a fresh reformat/install of Ubuntu and then install firefox 3.0.4 and then install flash player 9 and see if that will work.

If that doesn't work then I'm probably going to be done with Ubuntu. I tried it and it was cool but I am not going to waste any more of my life trying to get simply little crap to work that is supposed to just work the first time.

Beans

Update: I did reinstall ubuntu 8.0.4, just left the version of Firefox that came with it (3.0) and installed flashplayer 9 and it seems like it works now, even after restarting.

So I don't have much need to update to any newer versions of Firefox or flash player.

But I did try installing flash player 10 using the same method as installing flash player 9 (download tar file, extract, and run sudo ./flashplayer-installer). It does the exact same thing for both versions (installs to /usr/lib/firefox-3.0). Except nothing happens with 10 whereas with 9 it works.

Weird but I'm done wasting my life trying to figure it out, I will live with what I have.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I'm running Hardy x64, and the "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu hardy partner" does not work for me:

sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find package adobe-flashplugin

Maybe it has to do with x64 and not finding an i386 binary package; I'm not sure. (Yes, I ran apt-get update.) But anyway, the following works for me with the original flashplugin-nonfree package. I wanted to keep Flash under APT control (hence not tar/install script solutions), and I'm okay with Flash 9 instead of 10.

My solution to get flashplugin-nonfree working:

It looks like the bug is with the hardy-backports package. After confirming that "apt-get -t hardy-updates install flashplugin-nonfree" works, I looked up APT pinning so that "Update Manager" and "apt-get upgrade" would know not to recommend the higher version in hardy-backports. (If the hardy-backports package is fixed someday, I can remove the pinning at that time.) (For completeness, I should mention I ran "apt-get remove flashplugin-nonfree" before doing the following.)

1.) Create /etc/apt/preferences with this entry:

Explanation: Flash plugin from hardy-backports was broken on 12/24/2008;
    Explanation: pinning to hardy-updates for now until it is fixed
    Package: flashplugin-nonfree
    Pin: release a=hardy-updates
    Pin-Priority: 980

2.) sudo apt-get update

3.) sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

4.) Restart Firefox

I have not tested what happens if I reboot. Hopefully, it will continue to work.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123