Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Editing Canon .CR2 RAW files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Editing Canon .CR2 RAW files

Hi thanks for reply.

skao:

I completely removed UFR 0.13 and installed 0.15 deb package. This did improve the results, but the images are still unusable. They are now underexposed and 'green' rather then over-exposed and red! No trouble installing or running though.

cotcot:

I have tried rawstudio, but it does not seem to interface with Gimp. When I click file > export to gimp I get these messsages from Gimp:

Execution error for procedure 'file-tiff-load':
    Could not open '/tmp/.rawstudio_6416.tif' for reading: No such file or directory

Opening '/tmp/.rawstudio_6416.tif' failed: Could not open '/tmp/.rawstudio_6416.tif' for reading: No such file or directory.

In any case, ufraw looks to be the more comprehensive "pre-editing" software. If only it worked!!!

I will try rawtherapee and report back.

Cheers,

-Woody

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Hi,

My setup is working fine I'm using the following setup:

EOS 40D saving in RAW +L
    Colour map in camera: sRGB

Ubuntu 8.10 x64 desktop edition
    Three different computers, core4quad, netbook and Cytron laptop
    Always installed the vendor monitor driver when asked

GIMP 2.6.1 with all possible plugins (from the standard repositories)
    UFRAW 0.13 as a plugin (also from the respository)

I've not pre-set any colour pallet

I'm opening the images with open with and GIMP from Nautilus.

UFRAW also used DCRaw for the conversion. You'll need to check that it is installed and up to date.

A strange pink colour could be a wrong white balance or green level setting. It may also be worth checking the colour profile in the camera is set to sRGB and not Adobe.

Let me know if I can help by reading out any of my settings.

Richard

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hello again and sorry for the late reply (life!)

[QUOTE=RichardCL;6866188]Hi,

My setup is working fine I'm using the following setup:

EOS 40D saving in RAW +L
    Colour map in camera: sRGB

Ubuntu 8.10 x64 desktop edition
    Three different computers, core4quad, netbook and Cytron laptop
    Always installed the vendor monitor driver when asked

I am using i386 edition,and a different model camera, but otherwise the same. Definitely sRGB on the (EOS450) camera. My processor is AMD 64, but I have no problem viewing the .CR2 file in nautilus (perfect "out of the box!"). When I come to open/edit any .CR2 file in GIMP or Rawstudio (with GIMP 2.6.1,UFRaw 0.15, DCRAW 8.80-1, RAW studio 1.1-1 or RAW therapy ), all of them have problems with a capital P.

The interesting thing is: RAWTherapy produces exactly the same results as did GIMP/UFRAW before I took skao's advice and installed UFRAW vers 0.15. Pink and overexposed. I am encouraged to hear that it's working for RichardCL on his 40D though. That means there must be an answer.....

PLEASE let me know if I can supply more info and once again apologies for taking a week.

-Woody

Beans
    Hidden!

digikam has support for raw

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks to all. I have tried all suggestions, and the only positive step I have made is that most have the same results. UFRaw (stand alone vers 0.13, from repositories), Raw Therapee (vers 2.3 from repositories) and DigiCam (from repositories) all decode my .CR2 files with the same overexposed, pinkish tone.

As per Skao's suggestion, I tried UfRAw vers 0.15 (as a gimp plugin, from UFRaw website). This produces different colour tone results, but they are still a long way off.

Finally there is Raw Studio. The colour results in Raw Studio are much better, but with Raw Studio there are problems exporting images to GIMP, as noted above.

I am slightly encouraged that most programs are having the same trouble; to my mind that means there must be a color setting "deeper" inside ubuntu that is just not readiing my camera'a RAW data correctly. But I am at a loss as to guess where to look for the problem.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by woodbrick; March 26th, 2009 at 09:22 AM. Reason: spelling

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

UFRaw 0.15 on Hardy from getdeb worked fine for me with my Canon 450D (XSi). Hope the rest of you are able to work things out!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Using hardy I have the same. All the earlier mentioned gui's UFRAW etc use the dcraw engine.

I am unistalling my versions as they are too old maybe. ufraw was 1.3 not 1.5 etc.

Will get back with update
    facts invariably distort the truth
    eeePc 900 Trusty Tahr

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi Amoun,

Thanks for posting. I had just about given up on photo-editing in Ubuntu. I upgraded to 9.04, but this has not changed the situation. Are you saying you have the same bad colour/tone results as I have described above? Cheers.

-

Beans

Raw Therapee 2.4 works with my Canon t1i cr2 files. Not available from Ubuntu or Debian resources so you have to install from http://www.rawtherapee.com/?mitem=3 as a .tgz file. I too was about to give up on Ubuntu and Gimp. Lost a lot of time figuring a way around it.

Unfortunately, as it installs outside the package manager, the desktop environment is not aware of it. Furthermore, you have to save the file from Raw Therapee and reopen it in Gimp.

Graphguru

Beans

There is a .deb of Raw Therapee 2.3 on their site. It's a version behind the newest, but at least you get the benefits of installing a .deb.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast