this is the second time this has happened to me. i switch out video cards, and all of the sudden the resolution cant be fixed. the first time it happened, i switched from a 7300GT to a 7200GS, they use the exact same drivers, but once you change cards the resolution ALWAYS defaulted to 800x600, reguardless of the previous settings. the only way i was able to fix it was to do a fresh install and let the monitor get auto detected. i dont know why it cant do it any other time.

well now its happened again. i switched from the 7200GS to a 9400GT. they use the same driver (i checked) then why does ubuntu **** a brick over the change? nothing ive tried has allowed me to get the monitor back to its native 1920x1080 res. this is a 42" plasma. best i can get is the 1680x1050, and thats only after unistalling and reinstalling the drivers. the drivers successfully install but it doesnt give me the option to go back to 1920x1080. if i try to force it it fails. it even says in the Nvidia X server settings that the native res of the TV is 1920x1080, yet only gives me the option to go to 1680x1050.

also on bootup my screen is kind of windowed to have about a 1" border, whereas before it was stretched all the way to the edges.

someone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me restore my video settings. i would rather not do a fresh install again as i dont want to have to reconfigure everything again. any help is appreciated

thanks.