Thread: Ubuntu Forums Beginners Team Education Focus Group: Call for instructors

cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ubuntu Forums Beginners Team Education Focus Group: Call for instructors

Hello Developers:

The Beginners Team Education Focus Group is looking for 'instructors' to offer 'courses' to Ubuntu users. These courses could be forum or wiki based only, irc only or use a combination of the two formats. (I am considering developing some content that could be delivered by local Ubuntu LoCo teams as well)

Hypothetical topics:

• Python Basics
    • Perl Basics
    • Erlang Basics
    • Haskel Basics

The goal would be to give more information about the general process than is typically found in forum posts.

Please feel free to ask questions in this thread or contact me directly.

More information:

wiki page

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Forums Beginners Team Education Focus Group: Call for instructors

pmasiar has some useful links in his signature, including a Python-learning wiki which he maintains.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mssever View Post
    pmasiar has some useful links in his signature, including a Python-learning wiki which he maintains.
    Yes, but an Ubuntu Forums driven course wouldn't hurt if done by the right people... Why not?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nvteighen View Post
    Yes, but an Ubuntu Forums driven course wouldn't hurt if done by the right people... Why not?
    I was merely suggesting that pmasiar's materials might be a good starting point.

cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Resources and wikis are good... but I would, for programming, like to have some 'courses' in which new folks would get assignments that would assist them in learning the content... the assignments would be 'reviewed' by the 'instructor'... and potentially the instructor could do a weekly IRC session for people with questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I could probably help out some with the Python part, but I don't know that I have enough time these days to actually schedule assignments and stuff (I'm also obligatorily stuck in 2.5-land and probably wont be making the transition to 2.6/3.0 for a while).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by PrivateVoid View Post
    Resources and wikis are good... but I would, for programming, like to have some 'courses' in which new folks would get assignments that would assist them in learning the content... the assignments would be 'reviewed' by the 'instructor'... and potentially the instructor could do a weekly IRC session for people with questions.
    I have no problem if people with time do that - but (for me) it looks like awfully lot of handholding and wasted time. If anyone wants to learn, tutorials are linked, just read them. Tasks are posted on wiki, go and solve them - and ask questions if any. There are even sites which will test output of your solution and tell if it is correct - but it is usually obvious, for training tasks, and not an issue.

Programming is not for sissies - you have to be self-starter, able to wrestle with problems by yourself.

But if anyone wants to write anything, teach anyone - please do so. I just don't feel that problem is in lack of resources: problem is in lack of drive by wannabe students. Which is fine, not all people have to be programmers